Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbie Battery Issue - "1" won't start

I am a new Supra owner of a 2006 Supra Launch 22SSV as of Oct of last year. Due to being an idiot and not reading the manual (until it was too late), I have created a problem with my battery system that caused me to require towing to get back to my slip yesterday.
    1. When I bought the boat, I was told to always switch from battery to battery on each outage (after reading the manual, I now know to always leave it on '1')
    2. I screwed up and left my ballast pumps on after an outing - all batteries dead upon return.
    3. On next outing, I charged my primary (non-accessory) battery and set the switch to dual (both 1 and 2).. Went out had a great day but radio did not work
    4. On the next outing (yesterday), radio and front ballast pump didn't work but cranking seemed good and pumps for rear ballasts worked fine.. Then boom, no crank but ballast pumps worked.. Had to get a tow
    5. Pulled accessory battery, brought it home and charged it, installed back into boat. Charged primary battery for about 30 minutes. Started boat and let it run for 20-30 minutes. Voltage gauge was about 14. However, cannot start with switch in "1" position, only dual and 2. No accessories work at all

Which battery is bad? I realize that I am an idiot for running the system, in "dual" as that only drains and doesn't recharge and I should always be at "1". I do think there is a problem with one of the batteries. Either it needs charged or is bad all together. I realize now that it will shut down accessories when power is weak to shift that to cranking but wonder when it will switch back. My plan is to:
    1. Buy a new battery and take it on the next outing
    2. Start the boat in either dual or "2" (only way it has the needed power to start)
    3. As the boat is running, switch to "1" and run it for an hour or so to see if everything charges.
    4. If it won't crank on "1" replace the primary battery

thoughts?

My thought is; pull both batteries and have them professionally tested. Like NAPA, somewhere that seems competent. I do not know for sure, but it seems that in position 2, the bad or low battery can pull down the good one- and leave you stranded. I thought all the later models with dual batteries had an automatic charging relay, and it would charge both as needed even though the switch is in 1 or 2?
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

I agree with BnT, have the batteries checked. Check to see of the shop has an inductance tester as opposed to the old school heater grid type. The new style can test a battery's condition even if its just run down and only needed a recharge.

Next step is to make sure each battery is receiving a charge from the alternator when the switch is in the appropriate position. Can you post a pic of your switch and possibly determin if there is a VSR/ASR in the mix. This will help in diagnosing the issue as well as how it should be used for future trips out.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

If it was me, take a multimeter down to the boat, touch the black wire to the neg, red wire to the pos and see if you get at least 12 volts from both, if not, that is possibly the bad one since you said you just charged them both(either it is bad or you have a draw of current from it). Those batteries are heavy and I know I wouldn't want to be lugging one that isn't necessary.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Default Newbie Battery Issue - "1" won't start

I assume you have a battery switch (1, 2, both, off) and not a battery switch with an relay to charge? I think in 2008 Supra started to put the swith/relay in their boats (I could be wrong), Even if your boat had a single battery, most people put one in. I did on my 2007.

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400

switch.jpg Yes.. I have a switch. The system is described on pg 53 of this manual - http://supraboats.com/library/downlo...wners_2006.pdf and I have uploaded a pic of the switch. One thing that is confusing me is that the diagram is backwards from my boat. the diagram shows "1" as being on the right and, as my pic demonstrates, my "1" is on the left.

As an update.. I went out on it today. went ahead and took a new battery:
    1. installed new battery.. attempted to start in "1".. it "bumped" but would not turn over.
    2. Started in 1+2 position and switched it back to "1". ran the boat without turning it off for almost two hours. Did not charge.. Again.. it would "bump" but not turn the motor over
    3. Hooked up a charger and let it charge on 2AMP for about 90 minutes. went back.. Nada

brought battery home to charge further.

with all of the battery swapping activity (and the many wires), I am beginning to wonder if I have it wired wrong. On the cranking battery, I only have one positive connector and two grounds (one from boat and the other feeds accessory battery)

Any other ideas?

Thanks in advance

correct.. I have a battery switch with 1, 2 and both. went back out Saturday with a new cranking battery and still had issues. Would barely "bump" in "1" position but would start in the "1&2" and "2" positions. started in "1&2" and switch it back to "1" to hopefully charge. ran boat for 2 hours and still would not start in "1". None of my accessories are working so i am pretty sure I need to reset the circuit under the dash. How do I reset the circuit for the accessories? I am wondering if i may have an issue with the battery wires. On my cranking battery, I only have a single red cable and two grounds (1 from motor and the other goes to accessory battery). should there be a wire that monitors the voltage? Anyone know where I can a battery wiring picture/diagram?
    Thanks in advance
    Last edited by wilber999; 06-11-2014 at 10:20 AM.

One more thing.. my battery setup is described on pg 53 of the manual at http://supraboats.com/library/downlo...wners_2006.pdf . it states to always run the battery in position "1". However, I have attached a pic. "1" is currently going to my accessory battery. confusedswitch.jpg

Did you resolve your battery issue? I recently purchased an 07 Supra 22ssv, and it has the same dual-battery setup and wiring. Similar to you, when I turn to position 1, the dash will not even light. If I turn to position 2, then the dash lights. I plan to check my batteries soon, but I wondered if you has resolved your issue since mine sounds so similar.

I've got the same setup in an '06 Launch and am having the same problem. I suspect it's a defective battery. If I switch to both or 2 the draw drops the voltage down from 14 to 12 when my motor is running. I am going to pull the bats this weekend and get them tested. The previous owner had them replaced at the start of this season so if they're not defective then I suppose maybe my VSR is bad and the accessory bat is just super discharged. I've been working on this (and posting about it) for a while. I don't get up to the lake too often though so it's taking some time to sort through. Very interested in everyone else's results as well.
    2006 Launch 24 SSV Gravity Games w/8.1