Default Rudder / Steering cable lube

I have a 2006 20v... steering is getting tight and I assume I probably need a new cable. Just for good measure I went and tried to lube the rudder but there isn't a zerk fitting that I could see on it. Are these rudders sealed and unable to be greased? Also, on the cable, is there anywhere to grease that? I'll probably replace the cable soon, just figured I'd ask.

Thanks
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

They should provide a zerk fitting on the support bar to lube the end of the cable but there isn't enough clearance to fit one in. I fill that tube up with grease from the rudder end the best I can and then push the rubber cap over it.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

What support bar are you talking about? Where the rudder attaches to the cable? I didn't see any zerk fittings at all. Other threads I've read say there's a zerk fitting on the top of the rudder, but there's nothing there but a giant nut with a cotter pin through it to hold the rudder in. I can get to the area if I detach some hoses, it's not easy, but I can. Just cant seem to find any zerk fittings down there. Did the rudder/cable setup change at all in 2005+?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I was saying that it would be nice to have a zerk fitting which would probably prevent 90% of the issues.
    Part looks like this on ours. I mounts to the engine block, steering cable goes thru it. I tried to put a zerk fitting on it, but the wall thickness is too thin for it to fit and have steering cable clearance.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=6300666
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

I pack that tube full of grease, push the steering cable thru, then take the extra grease that pushed out and rub it around the steering cable that is exposed, then push the rubber cap on it.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Yeah... this is what I need.

http://www.skidim.com/prodinfo.asp?number=TELSSC15420

Seems weird that a 20 foot boat requires a 20 foot steering cable. Where the hell is that thing getting routed to?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Default Rudder / Steering cable lube

You can get a whole helm rotary cable and steering wheel for that price man . Look up teleflex steering and how to measure for cables . I bought mine for a 86 supra sunsport and spent 167.00 shipped to my door for cable , helm , steering wheel

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

The one he linked is a rack...

I rarely buy from Skidim anymore, many of their prices are coming close to double what they are elsewhere. I'd try your local marine dealer for that part if I were you. Practically every place carries the sierra/teleflex/sheilds products.