Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

I would like to change the separator, fuel filter. rotor and cap just as general upkeep and hoping the issue may reside with one of those. My problem is that I don't really know where to find the water separator or fuel filter. I will keep looking around the engine bay assuming it can't be to buried

Default Re: 04 SSV Starter Replacement(?)

Your fuel filter looks like this (although hopefully not this corroded):

I found mine in the front most access compartment, where my sprinkler valves are:

I had the same problem, changed the filter, cap and rotor for like $60. That took care of it!
    2005 24SSV Gravity Games Edition
    Lake Lewisville/ Lake Leon

Mine is in the same place as garyholl pic. Under the bench seat, on the starboard side by intake pump for ballast.
    You can get a fuel pressure gauge from Autozone to test fuel pressure from the Schrader valve on the throttle body.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

Thanks guys, my next place to check was going to be under the rear seat and or lifting up the floor panels over the fuel tank. Sounds like it should be back that way then. Fuel pressure would give a good indication on fuel pump status right? Is that something that should be measured while under load/varying speed or is it supposed to be stable no matter the rpms?

Under load is likely the only number worth checking. With a clogged filter the pressure will keep up till the RPM/load reaches a critical point, and the pressure will collapse. Once the engine stalls and slows, it will usually come back up to pressure. So pressure at idle is pretty irrelevant.

Got it. Really hoping it's a matter of a quick and cheap filter change to get my power and running ability back(!)

Default Bolts on starter

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    I think you must have the V-drive, so the starter is on the port side of the engine, near the bottom and forward. Disconnect the battery cables at the battery, then you can undo the large cable on the starter and one (or 2) small wires. There will likely be a medium size alternator wire paired with the large cable. The starter is held in with 2 or 3 long bolts.

That's how easy it is.

With your boat year and engine option you can pick up a new one from most parts houses. I don't know the pn.

As for your diagnosis...there are 3 reasons for your symptoms. Most common is a bad battery. Second is corroded connections on the large cable between the battery and starter. Finally is the starter itself. I usually diagnose in that order.

Any idea on where the bolts are on the starter. Have the same issue and couldn’t see them when I had a quick look

Quote Originally Posted by James b View Post
    Any idea on where the bolts are on the starter. Have the same issue and couldnÂ’t see them when I had a quick look
    Been a long time since I did this repair.
    Best I can remember, for my vdrive, was needing to pull out the port side engine/storage panel and the starter was mounted down under the side of the engine on the port side. Should be 3 bolts, threading in port to starboard (threaded in from the left of the engine). 2 in the front, 1 in the back or vice-versa. Something like that.