Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is my boat Drive By Wire?

Looking at upgrading to Stargazer from my current Wakeboard Pro. My paddlewheel isn't sending signal anymore, so figured I'd upgrade instead of dropping the coin on a new triducer. I know there's a servo motor on my boat, but I've heard supra is kind of weird and have drive by wire and throttle cable. Any truth to this? Not sure what version I need. Boat is a 2006 20v.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I'm pretty sure you can use it in rpm mode for the time being.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Do you have Perfect Pass currently? Or something like it? Perfect pass can work with mechanical throttle cable engines, it just adds a servo-controlled cable in addition to the main cable.

I would imagine that Stargazer could be set up the same way, but I've never dealt with it personally...

Yes I have perfectpass wakeboard pro currently. I know I can use RPM mode, that's what I've been doing... but I like things on my boat to work, which is why I was thinking of upgrading to stargazer instead of replacing the paddlewheel assembly. Better money spent IMO.

Anyway, I got ahold of skiers choice. Apparently late 2006 is when they switched to Drive by wire. Couple ways to check is to look and see if theres a wiring harness behind the throttle control, or look on the current perfectpass wakeboard pro, and if the serial number starts with DBW, then its a dbw version. Hopefully that helps someone in the future.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I was just curious if you had the system in place, that's all. Funny that they switched right then because I literally thought, "hmm 2006? probably still mechanical."

Good info, and good luck with the Stargazer if you go that way. Seems like a great system.

I have the same year boat, but a Moomba Möbius LSV. My guess we have the exact same PP set up. Mine is run by a servo, but I am debating on upgrading to the DBW. My paddle wheel stopped working as well and I added this for the GPS setup. http://www.nauticlaugic.com/nl4-pp.html
    It worked great for me and I also figured out that my plug was the issue to my paddle wheel. Both work, but the gps install was so easy and very reasonable. It has worked flawlessly for me.

Default Is my boat Drive By Wire?

My 2006 was drive by wire capable but still had the servo style from the factory. When I changed to stargazer, I upgraded to drive by wire which required removal of the servo motor, throttle tie in, and control module. Had to install a new module and run a harness back to the motor that tied into the main engine harness. No more servo motor. Huge improvement.

Reviving this thread because I'm still thinking of the upgrade. Looked at my PP module and it's serial number started with WP, so no DBW on my boat. Does this mean I need to upgrade multiple items, or can I still just upgrade the brain and use the mechanical servo easily for Stargazer?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by Smitty75 View Post
    My 2006 was drive by wire capable but still had the servo style from the factory. When I changed to stargazer, I upgraded to drive by wire which required removal of the servo motor, throttle tie in, and control module. Had to install a new module and run a harness back to the motor that tied into the main engine harness. No more servo motor. Huge improvement.
    Can you give me some more info on your install? How much was the extra harness? Does it require splicing into wires, or were there connectors that just plugged in?
    Last edited by Zim; 05-06-2015 at 10:50 AM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Call or email perfect pass. I asked this question about my 2008, they said my PP was built into the software of the boat controller, and while I could do the stargazer, it would not integrate, and I would have to put in a PP dial in the dash to work it. They can answer, and are great about doing so.

It turned out I had to replace the sensor that goes thru the hull - and it's a special one made just for Supra, so of course, you cannot just buy any old replacement. But check with them. I got the new one in (takes about 2 minutes to install on my boat) and BAM, PP and speedo and PP working again like new.
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.