Default Draining the Water

My plan is to keep my boat in a boathouse in the winter, but still use it on warm days, as the lake is heated by a power plant. In VA we see many nights in the winter below 20, so it will be very important for me to drain all the water out of my motor and cooling systems. I will have the Indmar 340 on my boat. I did look into the fresh water cooling as I have heard that it could speed up the winterizing process as I would not need to drain the block, but it was $1100.00 for that option and I would still need to drain other areas.

Can anyone tell me what is involved with draining out all of the water for motor protection? I have heard about people installing quick drain valves as well, so any information on that would be helpful as well.

I heater is not a option as I will not have power at the boathouse, however I will be using a generator to operate the lift.

Install quick drains on the block (two of them -- one on each side of the motor) and two on the exhaust risers (located at the back) you can buy them through skidim.com. The other issue is the water pump that would also need to be drained -- that can be accomplished by removing the bottom hose to the water pump.

However, since your boat is in heated water it is unlikely that the block will freeze. I live in MN and have kept the boat in the water until late fall (getting down to 20 degrees at night) without any worries because the lake water is still above freezing and it keeps the motor compartment above freezing, as well. But better safe than sorry and a few bucks and about 2 mins of your time will drain the block.

30 minute process without quick drain, would not waste time & money too install. If you have heater and or shower you will have to winterize those too.

The boat will be on a lift, so it will be out of the water. I the boat will have a heater as well.

Heck for only 30 minutes, it is well worth the time than taking it out of the boathouse for the season.

Meant it only takes 30 min without quick drain. To do heater there are 2 hoses to unhook and use air compressor to blow out. Most new models have a one garden hose type connection for the manifold in the rear, 2 plugs in the block, one will be a knock sensor and the hose that comes from the thermostat (J hose). Have been told to pour antifreeze(non-tox) where you unhook J hose.

Actually, if your going to use a good grade environmentally friendly antifreeze then all you have to do is after getting the motor to opperating temperature (so the thermostat opens and the block fills) just remove the aft end of the raw water pick up hose and stick it in a bucket with the antifreeze, let the motor do the work... In fact I think you can buy flush kits with a three way valve to install in the pick up line so you dont have to disconnect anything. Check Skidim or West Marine for options. The heater pulls water from the block so this method will treat the heater as well. Good luck.