Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Wet Sounds versus JL Audio for tower speakers

Looking at upgrading tower speakers in Supra Launch and wanted to get feedback. Any feedback is appreciated.

Happy Wetsounds Rev10 owner here.

What are you looking for from the speakers. Wake range or surf distance? I'm not sure JL has a HLCD but their quality is top notch. The quality of Wetsounds seems to be right there with them.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

KG, I am looking at all around sound on speakers and realize I may get better range on the Wetsounds. I have some friends with Wetsounds on their boats and they sound nice but listened to JL's this afternoon and they sounded nice also with a bit more bass. Thanks for your feedback and just tying to decide what route to go.

Couple extra thoughts ....

What WS speakers do your friends have? The new REV (last couple years) series is a sizable improvement from the pro series. The Rev10 and Rev410 are the largest tower speakers on the market (i think?) so should have more bass than most other options.

The JL (again I think) is a coaxial and doesn't have the tweeter (or horn) coming through the middle so the woofer has a little more surface if comparing the same sizes ... translating into a little more bass.

Maybe a couple of the pro's will chime in (this is right up Earmarks alley) but I don't think you can go wrong with either. If David doesn't jump on here within a couple days, shoot Odin at Earmark and email and he can tell you all about the two options. They deal extensively with both ... and could offer a forum discount
    2006 Supra 24SSV

KG, Thanks and will hopefully hear some from of the pro's on their opinions in the next few days. In regards the WS I was looking at REV8.

JL does not offer an HLCD, so it would not be an apples to apples between the Rev-8 and the JL 7.7. it would be a matter of what is your primary tower speaker setup gaol and whether a coax or an HLCD is best for you.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Quote Originally Posted by Tsmitty View Post
    Looking at upgrading tower speakers in Supra Launch and wanted to get feedback. Any feedback is appreciated.
    It's an odd comparison because these are truly apples and oranges and I like both apples and oranges. Wetsounds and JL Audio tower speakers do entirely different things. And each is the best at what they do. So you really need to define exactly what your objectives are.
    Near field listening whether at rest or surfing?
    Long range projection at wake range and serious SPL under various other listening scenarios?
    'That guy' at the cove?
    Are you highly biased towards strictly SQ or strictly SPL or are you willing to make some compromises to find an acceptable balance?
    Share more about how you envision your usage and what your expectations are.

Get the best of both worlds. Stick a pair of each up there with EQ to fade the ones you want on and off
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

David,

In listening to both speakers I feel that they both sound great and have the differences. Thanks for your feedback and to answer your questions I am more interested in overall sound quality however with the Wet sounds I do like the range as my kids enjoy hearing the music when out in the water and being pulled. I would be willing to make compromises and would be interested to hear recommendations of speaker choices.

Given this info, I would step up to the Rev-10. Better near-field sound quality then the Rev-8, while still offering the wake range projection.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio