Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default What size strut bearing for 87 Supra comp?

They seem to come in 2 sizes. Thanks!
    87 Supra Comp TS6M

Not absolutely sure but I think the shafts are either 1'' or 1 1/8'' check your shaft and that will tell you the size you need.

Should be 1". Are there any 1-1/8" old supra?

Thanks guys,

I know the shaft dia is 1" but I believe the difference in the sizes has to do with the length of the strut bearing. The options are 1" dia with 1 1/2 or 1 1/4 length.
    87 Supra Comp TS6M

That's not length that's outer diameter. You probably need 1 1/4", but you should really measure to be sure.

Call skidim and talk to Vince. He has helped me in the past. Maybe even when I replaced mine( that I need to do again, soon!). Are we skiing this weekend? I found that campground you are talking about-Harpers ferry campground, on the Potomac river at Dargens bend! Now to find a ramp we can use, and some local knowledge of where the hazards are...don't want to wreck my prop! If you have other plans, that is ok- I will go over there and re-con the area to see where we can put in at. It is only 4 miles of 'deep' water, but it's closer than dam#4.
    Last edited by Blackntan90; 06-12-2014 at 05:35 AM.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Going on a tangent here:

How often should that be changed? I haven't changed mine, in any of my boats, ever. But seeing as I'm getting a strange vibration from my driveline, could that be my strut bearing. I've thought about if that could be a problem. I imagine it's pretty easy, pull shaft, pull bearing, reverse.

I just did mine a month ago. Mine were most likely original, ('84 Rider) so they may have been a bit tougher to do than something more recent. Getting the one out closest to the prop went pretty well once I gave up on the puller idea. I had threaded rod and sockets that should have just pulled them both through the strut but they wouldn't budge, so I went with the punch method. You just need a sharp punch to get in between the strut and the bushing and hammer away until there's enough to grab with pliers and kind of peel it open and pull it out. The one closest to the hull is a bit tough because there's not a lot of room to see what you're doing and hammer, but it's doable for sure.

I used the threaded rod to press the new ones in and that was a snap.

I think the biggest deterrent to doing the job is that you should replace the transmission coupling whenever you pull the shaft out of it, as it won't be a tight fit unless you're using the tapered type. And... "soap box mode on" Lap the prop while the shaft is out of the boat and get it checked for cracks around the keyway. Soap box mode off.

I was told that they should be replaced every 300 hours, or sooner if you often go in silty water. I bought the tool from skidim that is like a special slide hammer- worked like a charm. At $100 it was a little pricey, but I am a tool nut...
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

That tool is now $183 at Skidim, might have to look elsewhere for one.

Or more likely I'll make one out of threaded rod and pipe.