Default What Oil should I use in the V-Drive?

Hey guys! I have a 2007 Supra 24 SSV with the 360 CAT. I am confused about whether it should be running ATF or 10w-40 motor oil for the v-drive? I know the tranny calls for Mercon III. I called a dealer last year and he stated they are putting 10w-40 in them. What is everyone else running?

Thanks!

Rodger
    2007 Supra 24 SSV 340 CAT
    Lake Bryan, TX

Is it a Walter? If so, they usually use 30W non-detergent oil.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

Yes, I believe it is a Walter. The dealer told me to put 15w-40 in it? I do live in Texas, maybe that is why they said to put the 15w-40 in it?
    Lake Bryan, TX

You can download the Walter manual from their site if you need to. It would not need to be a multi viscosity and does not need the cleaning agents of standard motor oil.
    Michael
    Mikes Liquid Audio

I use Wolfhead Straight 30W. I use a turkey baster, put it in the bottle, fill it up, put it over the whole and squeeze it in. Cleanest/quickest method I found.
    2004 Supra Launch 22 SSV
    5.7L Indmar Assault
    "One More Hour"

I have the same year boat. Manual says 30W, and when I change mine every year that's what I use (also in Texas).
    2007 Supra 20SSV - 325HP - SOLD (What's next???)

Wetsounds Rev 10's
    XS-650's
    Syn 6
    Syn 4
    WS-420

Quote Originally Posted by jzelt View Post
    I use Wolfhead Straight 30W. I use a turkey baster, put it in the bottle, fill it up, put it over the whole and squeeze it in. Cleanest/quickest method I found.
    LOL, I bet the significant other is not crazy about you using the turkey baster for that! Go to an auto parts store and get one of the small hand pumps you can screw onto a quart bottle. They have a small clear plastic hose that fits perfectly into the dipstick hole. Much faster and easier than a baster.

Thanks for the info guys! I will go with the 30w oil! I have the manual, but the dealer told me to use the 15w-40.....I don't know why.

R
    Lake Bryan, TX

Quote Originally Posted by rtpaxton2 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys! I will go with the 30w oil! I have the manual, but the dealer told me to use the 15w-40.....I don't know why.
    My '13 had a sticker on it for 30wt, my '14 has a 15w40 sticker...

I had to take the boat to the dealer for a check engine light. I learned that the 13 & 14s run on the 15w-40, mine SHOULD have the 30 weight. I'm a bit irritated about this as it was this same dealer that I spoke to on the phone when I had the question. It does not appear to have damaged anything, especially since the last 2 years I have not put 20 total hours on the boat.
    Lake Bryan, TX

Hello, new to the forum, but I work in the oil and lubrication industry as a lubrication engineer. So, I am very familiar with lubricants. With that said, always start with the OEM spec, i.e. what is in the manual. From there, any changes that would or should be made are in regard to the operation of the equipment. For instance, the OEM may call for a 30weight but that may assume that the ambient temperature in the area is between, say, 10-90oF...if you were in an area where the ambient temp is between 70-120, then the viscosity would be too low, and you would have to bump up to a 40 weight. This would offset the difference in the parameters between what the OEM produced and the condition to which you are running. Multi-visc oils wouldnt be beneficial in this instance given that the first number, the 15 in say a 15w40 (thats why there is a W--the W stands for winter NOT weight), is the cold cranking, so to speak, viscosity, and you would want the vis that thin because it wouldnt provide a significant lubrication barrier.