Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Engine flushing/ Zebra muscles

I use two lakes, one infested, one not. How do I flush the engine with fresh water to keep that water from getting in the uninfested lake? This is my first inboard and I'm just realizing I don't know how to connect a"fake lake." Is there a water hose fitting or something? Or would a winterizing drain be the only way to deal with it?
    2005 24SSV Gravity Games Edition
    Lake Lewisville/ Lake Leon

Fake a lake is usually a plunger type device that you invert and it covers up your raw water intake and seals against the boat hull. There is a fitting to attach a garden hose to supply water. Some boats also have a mod after the fact that allows you to hook the hose right up inline with your plumbing inside the boat to run water to the engine without the need for the "Fake Lake." My boat has said fitting so I just hook up there.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Make it easy on yourself. Do one of these:

It's a ball valve from your local plumbing store that is put inline on your fresh water intake hose. The other end is threaded for the garden hose. Makes it pretty easy.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    Make it easy on yourself. Do one of these:

It's a ball valve from your local plumbing store that is put inline on your fresh water intake hose. The other end is threaded for the garden hose. Makes it pretty easy.
    I can't see the ball valve you mention. Does it have a lever or a rotary actuator?

sorry, best pic I had. You're looking at the back side. Something like this:

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    sorry, best pic I had. You're looking at the back side. Something like this:

It looks like you have hoses connected to all three ports on the 'T' valve. Is one just a lawn water hose adaptor?

Btw, thanks for the idea; it's a good one...

My boat has a hose connection coming off the strainer. Has like a foot valve connection on it so water can only go one way.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Cusefan78 View Post
    My boat has a hose connection coming off the strainer. Has like a foot valve connection on it so water can only go one way.
    the spot at the very bottom of my picture that's kinda cut off is where the garden hose attaches.

Gotcha.Cool!

I would put the hose in a bucket with soap, because really, all you are doing is running clean water over the zebra muscles, they aren't gonna let go for that, they attach them selves to everything and when they do eventually come off, they take material with them... Should see what they do to steel and aluminum boats lifts...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow