Default Debating purchase of 1999 Supra Launch - Need Input

I have decided to buy a boat but my budget is relatively low (max of 13000). I didnt think I would be able to afford a Supra, but I found a 1999 launch with 960+ hours on it. The guy was asking 16 but I have him down to 13, which also kinda worries me...

There are a few things that worry me about the boat. One thing is that he said the speedo, rpm, and volt gauges dont work. He said the perfect pass works fine though... Any ideas on what could be wrong? Electrical? How hard do you think it would be to replace?

Another thing is the hours... It has 960 hours on the boat which just seems like a shitload compared to other boats im looking at. Even some older 94 sport nautiques only have 500 or 600 hours on them... This boat is 5 years newer.

The tower also concerns me. Here is a picture of the boat:

He claims he thinks it is the factory tower, but from what I have googled ,it doesnt look like the factory 99 tower. It looks more like a new dimensions tower for a different size boat, and they mounted the rear "A" peice to far back.

Part of me wonders if this isnt a supra sunsport with aftermarket perfect pass, aftermarket tower, factory ballast, and launch decals? How can I tell?

He also says that the shaft rope seal could used a repacking. I googled this and it seemed easy on the boat that was in the tutorial. How hard is this in a 99 launch?

Any other input would be greatly aprpeciated. Here are more pics, and the text from the add:

Ad text: "I have a 1999 Supra Launch 21ft with a fuel injected indmar 350. Boat has factory rear ballast system as well as two 600 lbs fat sacks as well as factory perfect pass, wake tower w/racks, speakers and bimi top. the interior was redone about two years ago and still in perfect condition. boat has been keep inside since I have owned but also comes with both a 2 piece snap on cover and a full tip to tail cover. Boat has brand new starter and battery and is lake ready. "

Thehebs, you are local to me since I know this boat. I went and saw this boat in person looking for WVfirefighter a boat. I've commented on it a number of times.

If this boat is kept near Ashland City, then yes it is the one I saw. Here's the rundown, this boat is in dire need of a lot of attention. The tower mounts have spider cracks all around them which means either poor backing plates (my guess) or serious abuse (also what I think happened). The "white" gelcoat is now blue tinted since the guy used toilet bowl cleaner on it didn't wash it off fast enough.

I'd bet this thing needs everything electrical replaced. Barely anything worked on the dash. The whole boat is rough shape. It did fire up and run, but that's about the only positive. Hell the stern light above the swim platform came out in my hand.

As for a true launch, I don't think it is either. Not with that tower on it. But honestly, the only difference in the Sunsport and Launch was ballast and a tower (if i remember correctly).

If this guy wants to sell it, I'd give $10k and that's about it. The boat needs major work. Last year the guy selling said he was moving to Colorado, so I don't even know if it's the same kid selling it or his family.

Private Message me a phone number if you want to talk about.

Quote Originally Posted by haugy View Post
    Thehebs, you are local to me since I know this boat. I went and saw this boat in person looking for WVfirefighter a boat. I've commented on it a number of times.

If this boat is kept near Ashland City, then yes it is the one I saw. Here's the rundown, this boat is in dire need of a lot of attention. The tower mounts have spider cracks all around them which means either poor backing plates (my guess) or serious abuse (also what I think happened). The "white" gelcoat is now blue tinted since the guy used toilet bowl cleaner on it didn't wash it off fast enough.

I'd bet this thing needs everything electrical replaced. Barely anything worked on the dash. The whole boat is rough shape. It did fire up and run, but that's about the only positive. Hell the stern light above the swim platform came out in my hand.

As for a true launch, I don't think it is either. Not with that tower on it. But honestly, the only difference in the Sunsport and Launch was ballast and a tower (if i remember correctly).

If this guy wants to sell it, I'd give $10k and that's about it. The boat needs major work. Last year the guy selling said he was moving to Colorado, so I don't even know if it's the same kid selling it or his family.

Private Message me a phone number if you want to talk about.

Thanks for the info. I knew it sounded too good to be true. I am actually just south of Memphis. I was going to pay to have him do a compression test and just hope I can fix everything else. However I read that the dashes on the very early launches are terrible and expensive to fix. I think this boat just has too much for me to fix on it.

I think i will have to sell for this 94 sport nautique with monster tower for 11,750. Its all I can really afford at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by thehebs View Post
    Thanks for the info. I knew it sounded too good to be true. I am actually just south of Memphis. I was going to pay to have him do a compression test and just hope I can fix everything else. However I read that the dashes on the very early launches are terrible and expensive to fix. I think this boat just has too much for me to fix on it.

I think i will have to sell for this 94 sport nautique with monster tower for 11,750. Its all I can really afford at the moment.
    Guy on here has a nice Pirata that you could get into for that price with all new floor/stringers, tower, 454 with new carb, etc. Check out the classifieds. Real nice boat.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I also have seen this boat forsale for over a year. Where exactly do you live thehebs? I'm originally from Southaven ms.

Does anyone have any information on this particular boat, and where it ended up? I believe that I'm looking at a boat extremely similar to this. Boat is advertised as a Sunsport from Gordys marine in Fontana Wisconsin. Salesman said they removed the decals, but I had a few other questions going through my head at the moment, and forgot to ask why?. He also said that there was only 2 owners of the boat, but he believes that the boat is originally from Tennessee. Sure seems like this is a coincidence to me. Not to mention that I could not find any information on a 1999 Supra Sunsport. I'm not familiar with Supra, as I just sold my 1st MC boat looking to upgrade to a bigger boat. I hope someone knows something. Thanks guy's!

Blue Sunsport at Gordy's Fox Lake location? I've seen this boat in person as Jim, the sales guy for the Fox Lake location and I go skiing together behind my Comp. This boat was a Georgia boat originally if I am not mistaken and then somehow ended up on Lake Geneva up in Wisconsin. The boat is a solid boat considering the age on it. I can go take another look at it for you if you are not local.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

I remember when this boat first was on here and that one your looking at isn't it. The tower was messed up the way it was mounted.
    1995 Supra Sunsport 454

Ok sounds good! thanks guys for the helpful information! I appreciate the offer Jetlink, but I'm just going to have to find the time soon to make the drive down there.