Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

You cannot see the power valve operating from the outside of the carb. You are watching the squirts from the accelerator pump. The power valve still remains your "most likely" culprit.

edit: I realize I better expand on that a bit.

An engine that is idling or running at low load can tolerate a leaner mixture without damaging anything. When the engine is under load, the combustion temps go up, so for a safe measure, you must add extra fuel to bring them back down. If you run an engine lean under load, you will melt the aluminum pistons. If you run an engine that is coasting too rich, you foul plugs and build up carbon in the combustion chambers...not to mention you get poor gas mileage.

That is the problem. Holley's solution was the power valve. The valve is on the metering block inside the float chamber. It has a rubber diaphram that is sucked to one side by the intake vacuum. When engine load is low, the diaphram sucks a plunger to close a special fuel port. Mixture is now controlled by the idle screws (or main jets if you are cruising). When you run the engine under a heavy load, the vacuum in the manifold goes down, so the power valve diaphram relaxes and the special fuel port is opened. Extra fuel is added to the mix to richen the mixture.

Power valves are different for different applications. They are numbered similar to main jets, so you can choose at what vacuum the valve opens. Racers use a solid valve, that is always open...as they do not care about mileage, idle quality, and running at low loads. The real reason they do not like the valve is because of the rubber diaphram. The diaphram is exposed to intake vacuum, which means if the engine ever backfires...even once...the diaphram will rupture. If it ruptures, the valve stays open and even more fuel dumps through the split diaphram right into the intake.

If you have checked everything else, then it is most likely that your power valve has a ruptured diaphram. Remove the bowl and the PV is right there screwed into the metering block. you will have to read the number on it and order the same number PV replacement. Best to get 2, because, as I pointed out, one backfire and you have likely blown it.
    Last edited by CJD; 06-23-2014 at 04:30 PM.

Default Holley carb tuning?

Awesome info, thanks for taking the time to write that!

Sent from my brain using Tapatalk.

Which Eddlebrock intake do you have biggsie ?

Performer

If it's the 2581 it could be part of the problem. I spent all kinds of time and money rebuilding my Holley 4160 and then finally bought a brand new one which comes tuned directly out of the box and I still had similar problems at idle speed. Finally when I met a race car mechanic at the lake he immediately noticed my intake was designed to run at 1500+ rims. When I replaced it with the performer built to run at 0+ rims it runs great and I don't have any more issues at idle speeds. It's Just something else to consider ? I'm not sure if the 2185 came stock or if a previous owner changed it.

Thanks, I'll check and see if there is a model #.

it will say performer or performer rpm

the performer is idle to 5,500 rpm

the rpm intake is 1500 to 6500 rpm

we have the performer on the family boat with a 351W and it made a noticeable difference in power, the idle is very smooth also...
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

It's a performer. It says "Performer 351W" on one of the runners.
    I'll pull the front bowl and check that diaphragm next.

Mine had a number stamped on the top near the backimage.jpg

So I pulled the carb and disassembled it. Seems the power valve is ok, no ruptured diaphragm.

The PV is a 2.5

I forget the jet size 630's maybe?

I guess I'll have to see if the transfer slots are exposed after I re-install and tune the idle with vacuum.

Anyone know what jetting/PV sizes should be with this performer intake?