Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Transmission Fluid Leak

I had my boat out this week (2000 Supra Launch DD) and it was leaking some serious transmission fluid. We were at the lake for the week and I went through 1.5 quarts of fluid. I checked it regularly as to avoid running too low and I did not notice any slipping. I replaced the cooler before vacation as I was only losing a little fluid and did not notice it the bilge -I was hoping this was the problem but after this week I realize it was not this issue. Now there is a lot in the bilge. I am thinking it is the front seal between the motor and the tranny. After reading up on this it sounds like there may be an issue with the pump which is causing the leaking seal. At this point I am not sure if I should replace the seals or have the tranny rebuilt.

Any advice would be appreciated.

What style trans do you have . Model num?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by lively View Post
    What style trans do you have . Model num?

It is a Hurth 450 D. The rear seal shows no signs of leaking and the transmission does not appear to be slipping. Just have to check the gas and fill the tranny fluid.

Well if you wipe the bottom of the bell housing with your hand are you getting any fluid ?

I find fluid on the bottom of the transmission. Have not found any on the bell housing.

We'll wipe it clean with simple green and start over . If it is a leak then run it on the hose at the house and put a piece of cardboard under the trans to find out if it's front or back . Then keep it clean till you find a drip !

I was wondering if any has used some the transmission stop leak fluids before. I am planning on taking the tranny off and replacing the seals at the end of the season, but was wondering if some type of stop leak may at least slow the fluid loss until I repair it. My only concern is gumming up or messing up something, any thoughts?

Thanks

I wouldn't do that.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Pretty much what he said guy ! This trans is just a pump . Works by pressure . Don't put anything besides dex 3-5 . We all are lazy at some point . But when it comes to my boat. ! I'm all in !

Not trying to be cheap I just hate to take the boat out of commission to send the tranny off. (once I have it off I am planning on sending to a shop and having it checked and serviced. I have been trying to hunt down a leak on my transmission andtoday I added some uv dye to see if I could pinpoint the location. After running it today I got it home and put the uv light on it. The only location I could find where I saw UV dye is where the starter attaches to the bell housing of the tranny. The PO told me he had replaced the starter shortly before I bought it. Looking at how the starter attaches at that location there is a gap which is open. I tried to take a pic but it was getting too dark.

Does it make sense that there would be fluid leaking near the starter and is there typically an area which is not covered where the starter attaches to the bell housing? Wondering if it is the wrong starter?

Thankstransmission.jpg