Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: PMGR starter.

Default PMGR starter.

I have spent quite a bit of time looking for the proper way to wire a newer pmgr starter that I bought at db electrical and cannot for then life of me figure out why I can't get it to work properly.pictures below are what I have come to understand how they are typically wired but I received no instructions when I purchased the starter however there are plenty of diagrams online in ford forums. What happens is that I get a solitary click when I try to start the engine. It will turn over when I wire it incorrectly and basically just use the 12v jumper (I used yellow because it was handy) in the old single wire configuration but I ready that is a sure fire way to burn out your starter. If anyone can help me understand what I am missing I would appreciate it.

Josh
    Attached Images Attached Images

I'm thinking your problem lies in your key wiring now. You changed the wiring on the starter so your not getting the signal from the key anymore. I could be wrong but you need the 12volt signal when you turn the key to the start position

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Hi Josh

I've cut and pasted a post I made on the topic earlier. From what I can see from your 2 photos, it should work as it is currently wired though.

I couldn't let it go so I did some more reading. This explains the whole thing quite well, the point of the remote solenoid is to take the stress off of the key switch. In figure 6, the short green wire with the arrow pointing to it, represents the jumper between the battery contact and the control contact on the starter.

www.aeroelectric.com/articles/strtctr.pdf

This guy wires it a bit differently, but it does accomplish the same goal, and all the start current doesn't have to go through the remote relay, it does however loose the protection CJD supposed about though.

http://www.oldengine.org/unfaq/solenoid.htm

I don't know that that is the problem, as the starter now has constant power, the 12v is where the starter cable came out of the solenoid before, so i think, but could be vary wrong, that by turning the key to start that should be providing the 12v jumper cable the power it needs.

I don't know why but the way the diagrams are made in the first link are making it really hard for me to follow, maybe it is just because it is morning i will look again a bit later after i have had some more caffeine. Near as i can tell though i believe i have it wired the way the second link has it described. I am totally frustrated because it seems like it should engage and instead i only get a single click.

You have the remote solenoid and the starter wired correctly. Is it the starter solenoid clicking or the remote solenoid? Can you jump across the two posts on the remote solenoid and get it to spin?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I was trying to figure this out last night, but i am a bit hard of hearing and didn't have anyone around last night to listen, but i think it is the remote solenoid. I did try to jump the remote solenoid and i didn't get anything.

How are you trying to jump it? Just take a rubber/plastic handled screwdriver and put it between the two big posts on your remote solenoid. If nothing happens when you do that, do the same thing on the starter solenoid itself.

I used a 2Ga wire that i had pulled previously and replaced with 0 Ga. i can try a screwdriver too but i would assume the same result. I will try the starter solenoid tonight if it isn't raining.
    When jumping the starter solenoid which terminals should i be jumping?
    Last edited by Brosh; 06-25-2014 at 03:22 PM. Reason: adding question

If neither of those works, you need to get out a test light or multimeter and figure out where is receiving 12v (and when) as you turn the key.