Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I don't think the transmission really matters, as long as you prop it correctly...

Also on the doghouse - you may just be able to build up the base to adjust for a different engine, assuming it's a two-piece with a plywood bottom part. I had to add about 3-4" to mine (I just rebuilt the whole bottom section) to accommodate the GT-40 with its big upper intake plenum, plus the MEFI box on the back. MUCH easier than a new doghouse!
    Last edited by SquamInboards; 07-03-2014 at 09:54 AM.

Purchased a 1988 Pirata 4 years ago. Had 1000 hours on it and the 351 with velvet drive 71C 1:1. The boat would only go 3600 rpm. Took it to Donnie Bennett along with a 454 out of a 1987 Saltare that was being parted out. Bought the entire drive train engine thru prop. Took that to Donnie along with the boat. He had never seen so much water logged foam and rotten floor and stringers. He replaced the stringers and the floor and put the 454 drive train back into the boat. The prop on the 351 was a 13x13 and the 454 had a 14x13. Also the hp in the 351 was 240 and the 454 was 330. Donnie told me there was a difference in the stringers from one set up to the other and he made the adjustment when he replaced the stringers for the big block. I do not believe the doghouse needed any modification. He would be the one to talk to. Also, I still have the 351 drive train for sale.

Yeah, running the exhaust outside of the main stringers through the foam wasn't the greatest idea. The boat I bought was rack stored but the crappy supertrapp setup leaked and the foam soaked it up like a sponge and rotted the floor from underneath. Stringers are rotted a little where the cross supports are but ok otherwise. I already ripped out the foam and put a floor in. (if I decide to keep the boat I will do stringers over the winter) I picked up a engine package but realized today that mercruiser manifolds have longer runners than pcm so the complete engine is a couple inches wider and will not fit under the dog house. Bummer because it is such a clean package.

Btw, how does your boat drive? I love the idea of a dd cuddy. The more I work on the boat the more I become worried I will do a bunch of work and be disapointed in the performance.

The boat runs well. Runs around 4100 and would like it to run 4500. Have ordered an ACME 541 and will try it out in a couple of weeks. Have a 1963 Century that has a 425 Buick and it runs 5000 flat out. Need for more speed. DSCN0233.jpgDSCN0233.jpg

I don't really care about the speed more about how the boat drives, bow lift getting on plane , cornering, holding speed etc etc. . .

If you want more speed you should look for a Allison with a 300 on it, cheapest way to break 100mph.