Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by crystal waters View Post
    Supra owner since age of 41.
    Me too!

And I am now 42.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Supra Owner since the age of 31.... now Im 33!
    86 Saltare

I'm 60 at heart. Closer to half that in real life, born in the wrong generation. I'm a purist with most things, prefer a original or close to it restoration. Won't own anything fuel injected, no power accessories, if the vehicle has kick panel vents and smokers windows it passes the first criteria. The other criteria include manual steering, brakes, and transmission... Don't want or need any new fangled technology.

Cadunkle, wtf? Modern horsepower just destroys old timey power. Digital music can be amplified way beyond the old analog stuff. Modern medicine any day over leeches. Liberal politics way better than conservative. Wait, got off track there. (I'm republican, so just kidding.)
    For me, I can't tune a carburetor so I rely on fuel injection. I love traction control so I can put 500 horsepower to the pavement instead of fighting back end drift. V drive over direct drive any day to keep all the bikinis up at the front of the boat where I can see them. (Hope my wife never gets on this forum)
    But...
    AC/DC, VAN HALEN, etc... The music is without question a throw back for me!
    2005 24SSV Gravity Games Edition
    Lake Lewisville/ Lake Leon

Quote Originally Posted by garyholl View Post
    Cadunkle, wtf? Modern horsepower just destroys old timey power. Digital music can be amplified way beyond the old analog stuff. Modern medicine any day over leeches. Liberal politics way better than conservative. Wait, got off track there. (I'm republican, so just kidding.)
    For me, I can't tune a carburetor so I rely on fuel injection. I love traction control so I can put 500 horsepower to the pavement instead of fighting back end drift. V drive over direct drive any day to keep all the bikinis up at the front of the boat where I can see them. (Hope my wife never gets on this forum)
    But...
    AC/DC, VAN HALEN, etc... The music is without question a throw back for me!

traction control? i turn that on for my GF. Digital music is kind of flat and dead sounding, nothing like the warm scratch of a record player. Vdrives are better if you make lawyers wages, but for the rest of us the DD works just fine (and they sound better too). When your EFI module smokes it's self ill be riding (or boating) off into the sunset with my carbs. If they act up its nothing a few mins of tinkering can't fix (if you know what your doing). and whats so wrong with a little 5150 on a sunny day??? Im with you cadunkle... Not real impressed by most of the new technology
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

43 at least for 8 more days.
    If you love nothing but the old your missing out and if you love nothing but the new your missing out. Gotta embrace both. And 5150......booring give me ride the lightning any day followed by whiplash!
    Function before fashion!

Well at least I'm not the only one.

But to tackle the list... Modern horsepower? I think that's just off base. Cost a fortune, not as reliable, and there simple isn't as much power. Not many vehicle these days are available with any significant displacement. Car engines are getting real tiny and boats are mostly SBC. BBF is pretty easy to be in the 600-700 HP range with factory block/crank/heads at much lower cost than a new anything, and at big boy HP levels your small block is no longer reliable in the long term. I also do not like the added cost and complexity of overhead cams. On something like a 427 SOHC, yeah there's a cool factor but I think a 460 based engine is more practical for cheap reliable HP.

Electronic fuel injection is not cheap or reliable. I had one of those once and it was the only vehicle I ever had that wouldn't start below freezing without starting fluid or gas down the intake. Fuel injection also comes with emissions nonsense and I don't want or need that. It's just added cost and complexity that reduces fuel economy. Can't tell you how many vehicles I seen stranded because a sensor broke but the engine is mechanically healthy and would otherwise run fine. I can't miss work because of that and I won't be stuck on my boat in a shipping channel because of it.

I am the traction control. I do not like anything that detaches me from the vehicle or limits sensory feedback. Power steering, brakes, automatic transmissions, drive by wire, ABS, etc. I won't have any of that expensive nonsense that prevents me from driving skillfully. If I wanted that stuff I'd just take a cab. OK... Tow pig has power steering and brakes, so I do concede that as somewhat a necessary evil for lifted trucks with large tires.

Vdrive? That's nothing new. Vdrives made in the 60s and the vdrives made today are very simple mechanical boxes just like back then.

I like my stuff simple and reliable, and of course the sexy styling of classic cars and boats is easy on the eyes unlike all the new bubbly cookie cutter me too styling of newer stuff. For luxuries like radio/music/whatever sure I have a fancy transistorized radio that can play MP3, but when it breaks it doesn't mean the boat won't start.

Quote Originally Posted by cadunkle View Post
    Well at least I'm not the only one.

But to tackle the list... Modern horsepower? I think that's just off base. Cost a fortune, not as reliable, and there simple isn't as much power. Not many vehicle these days are available with any significant displacement. Car engines are getting real tiny and boats are mostly SBC. BBF is pretty easy to be in the 600-700 HP range with factory block/crank/heads at much lower cost than a new anything, and at big boy HP levels your small block is no longer reliable in the long term. I also do not like the added cost and complexity of overhead cams. On something like a 427 SOHC, yeah there's a cool factor but I think a 460 based engine is more practical for cheap reliable HP.

Electronic fuel injection is not cheap or reliable. I had one of those once and it was the only vehicle I ever had that wouldn't start below freezing without starting fluid or gas down the intake. Fuel injection also comes with emissions nonsense and I don't want or need that. It's just added cost and complexity that reduces fuel economy. Can't tell you how many vehicles I seen stranded because a sensor broke but the engine is mechanically healthy and would otherwise run fine. I can't miss work because of that and I won't be stuck on my boat in a shipping channel because of it.

I am the traction control. I do not like anything that detaches me from the vehicle or limits sensory feedback. Power steering, brakes, automatic transmissions, drive by wire, ABS, etc. I won't have any of that expensive nonsense that prevents me from driving skillfully. If I wanted that stuff I'd just take a cab. OK... Tow pig has power steering and brakes, so I do concede that as somewhat a necessary evil for lifted trucks with large tires.

Vdrive? That's nothing new. Vdrives made in the 60s and the vdrives made today are very simple mechanical boxes just like back then.

I like my stuff simple and reliable, and of course the sexy styling of classic cars and boats is easy on the eyes unlike all the new bubbly cookie cutter me too styling of newer stuff. For luxuries like radio/music/whatever sure I have a fancy transistorized radio that can play MP3, but when it breaks it doesn't mean the boat won't start.
    Wow, you must have some bad luck.

I've had nothing but fuel injected vehicles and have never had a single problem with EFI. Do sensors go bad? Yes. That's why you plug a diagnostic code reader and figure out where to pinpoint the problem, fix it, and get back on the road. Really isn't difficult...

I've also never had a problem starting a FI vehicle.... ever. I've lived in Iowa and Kansas for most of my life, and between those two states the winters are anything but warm. If I've ever had a starting problem, it's been because my battery sucks.

As for boats, I've had carb'd boats, and now have a FI boat. I'll take the FI boat every day of the week. I don't have to tinker with idle/air mixture screws to get a perfect idle, I don't have to worry about my carb gunking up or getting a tiny piece of debris between the needle and seat, I don't have to worry about hot starts, cold starts, and hoping it starts. A carb is an antique these days, fuel injection is the future and won't be going away. It gives perfect results every time, and if it's not perfect it's very easy to pinpoint where a problem is. With a carb, a rich condition could be about 70 different things, adjustments, etc. Elevation changes affect them, humidity affects them, heat affects them... really EVERYTHING. I'll take the consistency of a FI motor all day long.

Man, you really are a 60 year old! haha
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Electric starters are for suckers, I prefer to hand crank all my internal combustion engines.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Electric starters are for suckers, I prefer to hand crank all my internal combustion engines.
    I just prefer animals to be my propulsion. I hook my hull up to some dolphins and crack a whip to get them to haul me around the lake.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V