Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Let's Try again - New here with '86 Saltare!

Hello all! I hope everyone had a safe and fun holiday weekend on the water! I posed an introduction about a week ago, it was filtered due to me being a new user and attaching photos. Once it was cleared by a moderator (Jetlink), I subsequently edited the post and it was blocked again - never to return! It looks like it's made it down to page two now with no content in the post. I'll just let that die, and say hello here! I am not an easily discouraged guy!

So, I bought a 1986 Supra Saltare early this summer! It is my second inboard towboat - the first being a Correct Craft Barracuda which I did tons of work to over the years. Photos of the old project here:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11751...CPWNysPno4-WaQ
    I begrudgingly sold the Correct Craft this spring to make way for SOMETHING larger and newer. When I found the Saltare for sale semi-locally I was hooked! It was bigger and a little older than I was REALLY shopping for, but it was in awesome shape, the price was right, and I just couldn't say no! Of course the bigger boat spawned an upgrade in truck, and a storage solution beyond my standard suburban attached garage... As things tend to do with me, that escalated quickly...

I've got a few projects to take on with the Supra, and I'm joining this site to gain a little supra specific knowledge, and share what I learn along the way.

A few pictures of the Saltare here:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/11751...CMK_-NfNyay6Xw

I'm actively avoiding attaching or embedding any photos with my first few posts to see if it helps appease the "new user" gods.

Thanks for reading!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

Wow, never seen a yellow one. I like it. Your gonna have fun with her.
    Function before fashion!

Welcome to the board! That C.C. is/was a sharp looker- looks like she had alot of love poured into her! Now I am not a fan of yellow, but that is a nice looking salt! Hope this board gives you years of fun and tons of info!
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Thanks guys! I havent found anyy other photos of a yellow one either. The only ones that that come up through Google are from the previous owner's ad on boat trader. Obviously such a loud color is not for everyone, but I love it!
    Korey Morris -

Welcome to the site -- I'm digging the yellow and I don't know if I've seen one in that colorway before.

What is the tongue weight on that trailer? Have you added a bow stop or roller? I think it needs something up front.

Also -- My previous tow vehicle was a 93 F250 and last year I "upgraded" to a 1977 F250 high-boy. Looks like you went the opposite direction?
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I did go the opposite direction! Sold my 77 2wd f100 and bought a 91 4x4 f250 after being supremely disappointed with the truck's performance on the initial tow home. I'd say the biggest thing limiting the f100's towing capability were the 3.0:1 gears.

The trailer definitely has issues. I started another tread looking for ideas here:
    https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...Trailer-Issues
    Korey Morris -

Ya you definitely want a bow stop. In fact you can see in the pic where someone cut the old one off.
    Function before fashion!

Yep looks like another one of my posts has been "moderated" I've got to be getting close to the post count to free me...

But yes, I went from my '77 F100 with a mildly built 302, C3 auto, 3.0:1 rear (towing my ~2700# Correct craft rig) to a 91 F250 4x4, 5.8l, manual trans, and like 3.8x:1 gears (for the Saltare, maybe 5000#). With the 5.8, it's all she wants on the interstate, but around 55mph, it's great. The f100 with the 3.0 gears never had a chance with the Saltare...

As for the trailer, I started a post dedicated to is in the repairs sub-forum.
    Last edited by korey; 07-07-2014 at 08:53 PM.
    Korey Morris -

Quote Originally Posted by korey View Post
    Yep looks like another one of my posts has been "moderated" I've got to be getting close to the post count to free me...
    Saw your post, it should be visible now. I think you are now at the magic number by the way.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    Saw your post, it should be visible now. I think you are now at the magic number by the way.
    Thank you sir!
    Korey Morris -