Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Saltare Trailer Issues

Hello,
    I have a new-to-me 86 Saltare on what appears to be the original SMP tandem axle trailer. At the very least the VIN tag says that it is an '86 SMP trailer. Although the trailer is mostly rust free and mechanically sound, one of the previous owners has made some obvious modifications, and I'm not happy about them... There is no sort of bow stop or roller near the winch, the vertical bow guides were removed, the keel roller near the foremost cross member of the trailer has been raised, and the V stop that the stem (where the keel turns up) sits in was modified (badly). I'm thinking that the purpose of these modifications was to reduce tongue weight or possibly to suit another inboard boat. As it sits with the boat loaded against the V stop (the only thing dictating the boats position along the length of the trailer) there is well less than 100lbs tongue weight, and the stern of the boat hangs 8-9 inches off of the rear of the bunks.

Because of the low tongue weight, the trailer tows miserably. Even with a 3/4 ton truck it is one pothole or quick move away from some deathly sway at highway speeds. It also causes traction problems for the truck - dragging so much weight (I'm guessing 5000lbs) with next to no added weight to the rear of the truck. Also with no bow support, the boat seems to bounce on the trailer more than I would like due to the trailer flexing.

I've researched pictures of Saltares on their trailers, and I can't seems to come up with one that has a winch post like what is left on mine. The fabrication of what is there for the winch post definitely looks original, and of much better quality than the modification work. Today I removed the badly cobbled up V stop, and using a couple of floor jacks, stands, 4x4s, etc, moved the boat forward until the transom was even with the end of the bunks, and I'm up to about 350lbs tongue weight (as measured with a couple of bathroom scales as as shown here:

I also spent some time and money on a new set of LED lights and fresh wiring:

So my question for the forum: Does anyone have a trailer like mine that hasn't been hacked up? If so I'd love to see a photo of the bow stop arrangement. It's a longshot, but I plan to call SMP tomorrow and see if maybe they have drawings that old... Like I said; long-shot there. Any other suggestions? I think that I've moved the boat as far forward as is feasible (getting close to the winch now), although I was shooting for more tongue weight - I'm told that 10% of the total trailer weight is advisable. THat just may not be possible on a boat with such a long bow. I work in a machine shop and plan to draw up and waterjet new brackets for the V stop, and If I can quickly find some information a bow roller or stop asap.

Thanks for any help that you can provide!
    Korey Morris -
    Sold to Arkansas: 1986 Supra Saltare
    Current: 2018 Moomba Craz

I'll take some photos of my setup tonight for you. I think it will help (even though I'm not sure if my trailer is an SMP or not.)

I have the opposite problem, my tongue is probably TOO HEAVY. I don't have a way to measure it but I think it's 700-800lbs with the boat loaded up.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Thanks, tha'd be great! I was shooting for 4-500 lbs. The boat is completely unloaded right now (interior out and all) so I guess I'll pick some up from what lives in the bow. I'm thinking more and more that maybe this trailer was just "close" for my boat, and was maybe designed for a 21 series (Mariah/Bravura)? I'm convinced that the post and bracketry that mount the winch are original to this trailer, but maybe not designed for this boat. It seems odd that I cant find a picture of another one similar though.
    Korey Morris -

My Pirata is on a newer aluminum trailer so I can't help with pics, but basically with any dd inboard you would want the engine to be centered over the axle or axles. You might fine tune a little fore and aft but that would be the starting point.

Here's some photos of my setup. It's an Oklahoma Trailer Company but how different can it be? (Ignore the scum line on the boat, please.)

Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Would you look at that, a Pirata showed up at the tire shop next to my office! I caught the owner as he was dropping the rig off for new tires and got the go-ahead to take some measurements over lunch!
    Korey Morris -

Here's my factory trailer:

Original picture before trailer restoration:

Yet another variant! Thanks for the pics.

Cool dog!
    Korey Morris -

I got to get up close and personal with the Pirata pictured above yesterday afternoon.

Looks like maybe my bunks are set up higher than this trailer, so my measurements may do me no good, but I'm setting fogrth in replicating this setup today and tomorrow!

Also, that Pirata was AWESOME! I thought my boat was pretty clean for an '86, but that boat is just plain awesome. No "for an 86" qualifier required. I'm jeleous. He said that his father owned it since new, had it for sale this spring and got little interest at $6000 and decided to let his son (the owner that I met) take it over for the season! He must not have had it advertised very well, because I would have known about it (for sale in Cincinnati) at that price...
    Korey Morris -

I'm late on the thread, but for what it's worth...

My '87 Salt sits on an Olympic trailer made in Youngstown, Ohio. No winch, drive on trailer and transom straps attach to the nose ring forward and aft. I'll try to get some pics this weekend and put them up.