Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Oil Level

Update:

I went out yesterday and ran it off and on (more on) for about 3 1/2 hours, about the same amount of time last go around. The tank was down to almost half and tank and bam, the problem started once again. At first it would idle for a few seconds, but got worse as it time went on. The engine was never hot, it never got above 170, so I don't think vapor lock has anything to do with it. I tried to wait it out and started it multiple times with no avail. Temperature even cooled down to 150, nothing. Then the weird thing is this; my buddy tows us to the dock and we start winching it up. The more of an angle the boat sits on, the better the boat responds to starting. Once the boat was at a 45 degree angle (steep ramp), it started and idled like nothing ever happened. I don't know if trash is pulling up and then settling in the tank or what. I bounced around the idea that the thing is out of gas and the gas gauge is not working, but after the last incident it only took 8 gallons. It's like clockwork, at the same time or rather when the same amount of gas in the tank it won't run unless at an angle. Wish I had more time to diagnose it, I'll have to wait for next week.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....................Hit it!

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    Update:

I went out yesterday and ran it off and on (more on) for about 3 1/2 hours, about the same amount of time last go around. The tank was down to almost half and tank and bam, the problem started once again. At first it would idle for a few seconds, but got worse as it time went on. The engine was never hot, it never got above 170, so I don't think vapor lock has anything to do with it. I tried to wait it out and started it multiple times with no avail. Temperature even cooled down to 150, nothing. Then the weird thing is this; my buddy tows us to the dock and we start winching it up. The more of an angle the boat sits on, the better the boat responds to starting. Once the boat was at a 45 degree angle (steep ramp), it started and idled like nothing ever happened. I don't know if trash is pulling up and then settling in the tank or what. I bounced around the idea that the thing is out of gas and the gas gauge is not working, but after the last incident it only took 8 gallons. It's like clockwork, at the same time or rather when the same amount of gas in the tank it won't run unless at an angle. Wish I had more time to diagnose it, I'll have to wait for next week.
    My advice is worth what you paid but to me this means 100% that the problem is with the fuel pick-up in the tank. It's clogged with something or bent or has a leak in it somewhere.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default Oil Level

If you say the gas gauge does not work , check the ground on the sensor . If you ground the wire itself to - on batt or engine the needle should move to full . Now pull the tank already and check your pick up screen the whole assembly and clean it all out . You have to start somewhere . But you still haven't verified fuel pressure when it's acting up you should be watching the pressure to verify if there is loss in pressure . 3psi should be the absolute min . wOT should maintain with a new pump 6-7psi on carbureted engine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY