Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default trans lockout button wired backwards

I got a supra saltare and the trans lockout button is wired backward. When I pull it out the ignition doesn't work. How do I rewire this?

When you pull out the knob to give the boat throttle in neutral, you can't start the engine? Is that the issue? It sounds like it's not disengaging the shift cable. When the engine is running, if you pull out the throttle-only knob, then advance the throttle, does it go into gear?

I'm not sure what the issue is...the ignition neutral cutout switch or the shifter cutout?
    Last edited by CJD; 07-14-2014 at 10:24 AM.

once engine running, I can pull out the knob and rev it up. however if I have to give engine some throttle when cranking it, it puts tranny in gear and when it starts it lunges forward. engine will turn over in any throttle position. I have put a new neutral safety switch and didn't change.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterfro View Post
    once engine running, I can pull out the knob and rev it up. however if I have to give engine some throttle when cranking it, it puts tranny in gear and when it starts it lunges forward. engine will turn over in any throttle position. I have put a new neutral safety switch and didn't change.
    So, what would happen if you start the engine, then advance the throttle in neutral by pulling out the knob, then leave the lever right there and shut off the engine. Then without moving the throttle lever at all, try and start it again. There is no way it could suddenly be 'in gear' if it wasn't in gear while the engine was running.

The reason I'm asking is, the neutral throttle knob is strictly mechanical, and disengages the shift cable mechanism while still engaging the throttle cable. The neutral switch is on the transmission itself, and it electrically 'opens' or 'closes' the start circuit based solely on whether the transmission is in gear. So the neutral throttle knob has no electrical connections, nor does the control box itself. It's a pretty simple mechanical thing that doesn't know or care whether the engine is running currently.

The fact that your engine will turn over with the boat in gear, sounds like someone bypassed the neutral safety switch circuit somewhere higher up in the harness, hence replacing it had no effect.

I'm still not sure what is going on, but I believe I understand it like this...

The shifter lockout is working as it should. But, the starter will crank with the throttle in gear? If this is what it sounds like, then I have to agree with Boards...it sounds like the wiring to the cutout switch is shorted. Trouble shooting will be a matter of testing the wires at the ignition, cutout switch, and starter solenoid with a test light or ohm meter to see where the short is occuring.

Will the boat crank in neutral? If it does, that doesn't help...but if it doesn't, then your new switch has opposite polarity for the application, i.e open when it should be closed. That would be a switch issue instead of a wiring issue.

Can you skip the wiring in the harness and just run two new wires to it?
    2005 24SSV Gravity Games Edition
    Lake Lewisville/ Lake Leon

The boat will start in any forward position and in neutral. I bought the boat working this was and they guy I bought it from said its was that way when he got it. It will not turnover at all when I pull out the transmission lockout. It will usually start when I pump it a few times, but occasionally I have to give it throttle to start and its already in gear. I've tried all I can think of. I would really like to figure this out. I have young kids and they are always crawling allover the boat. I would hate to have one of them crawl in and start it up and it takes off.

Also the neutral safety lockout is froze up. It doesn't move. Should I just replace the hole unit?

The boat will start in any forward position and in neutral. I bought the boat working this was and they guy I bought it from said its was that way when he got it. It will not turnover at all when I pull out the transmission lockout.
    It sounds like your control box is broken, so when you pull the knob out, it doesn't actually do anything. It's supposed to disengage the mechanism that moves the shift cable.
    Separately, your neutral safety switch is not doing its job of electrically preventing the boat from starting in gear.

Also the neutral safety lockout is froze up. It doesn't move. Should I just replace the hole unit?
    Are you talking about the little cup under the knob on the throttle handle? Yes, that should move up to allow you to shift, and it should snap back down in neutral to any movement of the throttle handle.

I have a non-functioning neutral lockout (the little cup below the knob), and with my kid (soon to be kids) running around the boat I'm seriously considering replacing the control box to have a functioning lockout.

I would get a new control box, and find out where the wires are improperly connected, thus causing the boat to ignore the electrical neutral safety switch and start in gear.