Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 2002 22SSV Possible Damper plate problem

Hi all. I think I may have a broken damper plate but I wanted to get some more opinion before trying to tear into the transmission. I changed the oil in my boat on Sunday morning. I checked the tranny fluid and the v-drive fluid. All looked well. I do not remember the last time I changed these fluids but I always check them when I change the oil. They've always looked good. Although I'm sure its time to change them. The boat has 560 hours on it I bout the boat 4 years ago with 350 hours on it and I've changed them both once since I've had it I think I did it at 450 but I can't say that for sure.

Anyways after the oil change I took the boat for a quick spin. Everything seemed normal. I just cruised around probably never getting over 15mph. It started raining I parked the boat. Let it sit for a few hours and once I cleared up I thought I would take it for a spin to dry it off before I put the cover on it for the week. While drove around for about 10 minutes maybe doing 20-25. Stopped for about an hour and talked to some friends. Then on my way home the water was extra smooth and I'm by myself cruising around 35 and I thought this is a great opportunity to open it up. I've had it around 40-42 before so I knew it had a little more in her so I opened her up and all like 2 seconds later it was as if the prop fell off. It started making a noise like a belt was loose. and I thin maybe red lined. I pulled back on the throttle and everything sounded normal. I was almost home so I put it back in gear and everything was like normal except for the squeal. I went and opened up the engine compartment and everything looked fine. No belt smell. I closed it back up and headed for home. It would idle perfectly fine and would go in a little over idle. As soon as I would give it more gas it would stop and just make the squealing noise. I was able to get back to my dock. Then the next day I went to test it out and made the video below. Through the research I've done I think maybe the damper plate may be broken but I wanted some expert opinions before tearing into it. Please see the youtube video below. Thanks in advance.

Heath

http://youtu.be/O5XAWP1HVJI

I think you are correct in your diagnosis. I would describe the sound as more of a "chirp" than a squeal. Chirping is a better description of 2 metal parts rubbing together...like a broken plate. Rubber makes more of a squeak or squealing noise. Sorry for the bad news...but the good news is the plate is cheaper than a tranny rebuild.

I'm wondering about the key on the prop shaft. When you shift to reverse I hear the transmission working. Get down there and look at the prop shaft where it attaches to the V-drive. See if there is any play or the key is obviously missing. Put it in gear and see if the shaft is turning with the flange.

Kevin Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Kma4444 View Post
    I'm wondering about the key on the prop shaft. When you shift to reverse I hear the transmission working. Get down there and look at the prop shaft where it attaches to the V-drive. See if there is any play or the key is obviously missing. Put it in gear and see if the shaft is turning with the flange.
    I will double check this when I get home today. I actually think in the video when I went into reverse it did move backwards. Afterwards when I put it back into forward I was able to make it back to the dock and then when I tried to slow down by putting it in reverse nothing happened and I slammed into the side of the dock. I'm going to attempt to pull the transmission tonight/weekend. I will try and take some pics to document the process. Every time I've tried to document things in the past I always start out taking pics and then all of a sudden I'm done and have only like 5 pictures to show.

Default 2002 22SSV Possible Damper plate problem

When you WOT for small burst does the boat rev out and slip ? If it does then it's tranny but if it stays solid and lunge the boat then the damper would be the suspect . Now one question I do have is why are you changing the trans fluid ? If you do anything I would blend a quart not drain and refill . Problem is the viscosity of the fluid adapts to the friction plates and when we drain and refill it makes things more slick . But when we blend we stick and still manage to keep fluids clean . Just something to keep in mind

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Well. I got the tranny out and the damper plate was not damaged. The transmission is fine. The v drive is fine. But low and behold just as suggested above and 5 hours later the damn key way on the drive shaft was sheared into. Wish I hadn't been caught up in the idea that a catastrophic event had taken place.

So since I have the transmission out is there anything I should do. The boat has 560 hours. Should I go ahead and replace the damper? I'm going to repackage the drive shaft since it's so easy to get to right now. I'm also thinking I'm going to drill 2 more holes in the bottom of the boat and finally install the three jabsco pumps I've had for a year and a half. But any other suggestions?

Well, it does sound like a perfect time to add the through hulls!!!!!!! Glad it wasn't major, or expensive. I would only replace anything if it showed signs of impending failure. A very close inspection of all bits should give you a good sense if replacement is warranted.

Kevin Allen

That's really good news, considering. When you say "repackage", I assume you mean new shaft seal packing along with the log hose? Be sure to use the good, very thick and double-reinforced log hose. Look closely at the prop shaft and flange. If they slipped for some time they may be galled and need replacing. Also a good time to think about replacing the cutlass bearing, since it can only be done with the flange removed.

As far as the tranny and v-drive, as long as the seals look like they are working, I don't think I'd replace them with only 560 hours. Same with the flex plate...inspect it very closely for stress cracks, but I'm not sure I'd replace it just as a preventative measure. I always have the luck of getting a "worse" new part than the old original.

Just curious how the key stripped...can you remember grounding or striking anything recently?

I would put a drippless shaft seal in it. I put one in my 86 when I lost the shaft and loved it. It's been a while but if I'm not mistaken OJ was the best at the time
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Does anyone know of a diagram online that shows bolt sizes and locations for the transmission to engine connection. I've got everything back in place. I only have a few bolts back in though because in my haste to get it apart I neglected to label the bolts