Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Level

Default Oil Level

Am I missing something? I'm pretty good about servicing everything I have but I am having troubles with the oil levels, or maybe the oil readings. Last night I got back from the lake and checked the oil in my 2002 Supra Launch SL (Direct Drive) and noticed that the oil was add the "Add" mark. This was 3 hours after we got back. So I start thinking about "where is my oil going", and " is it burning oil". Anyway when I changed the oil prior to the season, it read just fine. So after it sit, I checked it again and noticed the same mark "Add". So I added "1 quart" of Rotella and let it sit for about an hour. Came back and it reads that is now over "1 quart", WTF! I came back in the morning and re-checked it............. and it appears to still be over 1 quart, as it reads just under the "O" in Operating levels. That's a pretty big jump for just adding 1 quart of oil obviously. So, that morning I drained exactly 1 quart, and you guessed it, it went down to the same damn spot "ADD". I know this thing doesn't take 2 quarts of oil. And yes, I'm parked on a grade with the bow slightly canted up, but I still don't understand the readings on this thing. Maybe the oil is so clean I'm not seeing it, but I can see where the darker portion of the oil is on the dipstick. Any thoughts?
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....................Hit it!

Probably best to check when floating in the water. What trans do you have? As far as I know, some of the trans will have the engine at an angle, while some will not. Mine has the 1:23 and the engine sits level, my buddies 1:1 has the engine slanted down in the rear. Also, I know that after running the oil needs to drain back to the pan, but that should not take overnight! Could the dipstick be the wrong one for your application? Hope I helped in some way! Let us know what you find.
    -Rich
    1990 Supra Mariah/351 PCM 1:23-1 PCM

Default Oil Level

Put a level on your spark arrestor and check when it's level

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Don't know if this is a factor or not...but some engines allow the oil you add to run down the dipstick inside the engine. So for a few minutes after you add oil you get a false high reading.

I apologize for the late reply fellas, I has been a long week. I pulled the boat to a more level surface and played with the oil level until I got a good enough reading just prior to full. It was about 100 degrees (hot as hell) on the lake yesterday and it ran fine for awhile. The oil pressure was over 40 psi, and went to about 60 all the way out until we got ready to wakesurf. As it warmed up, the oil pressure held steady all day at 40. We ran pretty good for about 3 hours or so in the lake and decided to go in do to a possible thunderstorm. I was sitting on the back of the boat and was taking my time listening to the engine, which sounded fine. Got into the no wake zone, and my wife dropped it into the position just above idle. We cruised for about 3-5 minutes or so and everything sounded fine, then the engine sputtered and went out. Attempted to start it numerous times with throttle and without and it would just start up sputter and then die. So I don't know if I got some water in the fuel, fuel pump is going out, or maybe I suffered from a case of vapor lock. It was pretty disappointing since I have had zero issues for about 3 years now. Luckily we were close enough to the dock to swim the thing back in. The only thing I noticed different was that the boat was taking on a little bit more water (to be expected with fat sacs), and it appeared that there was a lot more "trail" or "foam" in the water from the boat. Now I gotta diagnose this thing so I can get back out. Thanks again for the replies.
    It's 106 miles to Chicago, we have a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, its dark, and we're wearing sunglasses.....................Hit it!

Quote Originally Posted by incognito View Post
    I apologize for the late reply fellas, I has been a long week. I pulled the boat to a more level surface and played with the oil level until I got a good enough reading just prior to full. It was about 100 degrees (hot as hell) on the lake yesterday and it ran fine for awhile. The oil pressure was over 40 psi, and went to about 60 all the way out until we got ready to wakesurf. As it warmed up, the oil pressure held steady all day at 40. We ran pretty good for about 3 hours or so in the lake and decided to go in do to a possible thunderstorm. I was sitting on the back of the boat and was taking my time listening to the engine, which sounded fine. Got into the no wake zone, and my wife dropped it into the position just above idle. We cruised for about 3-5 minutes or so and everything sounded fine, then the engine sputtered and went out. Attempted to start it numerous times with throttle and without and it would just start up sputter and then die. So I don't know if I got some water in the fuel, fuel pump is going out, or maybe I suffered from a case of vapor lock. It was pretty disappointing since I have had zero issues for about 3 years now. Luckily we were close enough to the dock to swim the thing back in. The only thing I noticed different was that the boat was taking on a little bit more water (to be expected with fat sacs), and it appeared that there was a lot more "trail" or "foam" in the water from the boat. Now I gotta diagnose this thing so I can get back out. Thanks again for the replies.
    I forgot to add that there was also an extreme smell of gas when this issue was happening, almost like it was flooded.

Are we talking about a carb or a fuel injected engine?

Default Oil Level

Make sure it's pumping fuel and that extreme gas smell is not for the fuel pump weep hole that shot into the carb .

Fuel , spark , compression . That's all you need to fire . Verify that and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by CJD View Post
    Are we talking about a carb or a fuel injected engine?

It's Fuel injected. I did just change the fuel/water separator. Well see what happens .

Ok, I dropped it in the water still on the trailer and it started right up. Let it run for a few minutes, cut it off and it started back up with no issues. Hopefully I will have the same luck next weekend. Thanks for the help guys.