Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1985 Comp TS6m Help?

Question. I have a chance to buy a 1985 comp that has 299 hrs, stored indoors, exterior mint con'd, interior mint con'd, the color is grey / blue exactly what I want, trailer mint....except. The dreaded super trap leak caused RS stringer rot. Hasn't run in 10 years stored with cylinders oiled. Started great but carb needs cleaned. Original owner. I know I have talked to many people they all say walk away. 6K$ is the bottom this boat is being offered to me. I have no facilities to do the work myself. Am I crazy to buy this boat? Opinions? I wanted one since I was 10 and saw a Supra on the lake. 42 now. I have quotes in the 5K range to fix it. Can it be run at all in the condition it is in? RS rr engine mount has the lower bolt pulled out already. Seller tells me he can temp fix with Dr.rot and make them solid enough to use for a while.

Don't rush into a purchase. At least the seller has been honest with you. Engine mount bolts are pretty necessary. Please don't think for one second I'm trying to discourage you, but there is another Comp out there for you. If you do get this one, I'd recommend heavy research on this site and Google to see what you can do to temp fix the vessels issues or plan on busting out those 5 g's. If you buy it and run it as is a number of things could become eventually misaligned and fail over time or instantly. There should be some good archive threads regarding peoples Supras sinking... Good luck with your decision.

If you do the math, 6k for the boat and 5k to fix it you are at 11k. 12k can buy a heck of a boat that doesn't need any work.

Now if you can buy it for 1k or even 2k that would make more sense.

Thanks much it is a tough decision. I'm going to help the seller pull the swim deck and mufflers and re-seal them in 3M 4200 or 5200. Clean up the holly metering block. Set her in the water and give it a gentle test ride. While the stringers are dry at this point we may drill them 4" and inject the Dr. Rot now and follow up with a epoxy filler in these holes. See if we can get the motor mount to bite. I would like to see how the boat rides and handles. If it rides smooth I may get it. My wife doesn't want a boat that pounds. I have a lot of Boston Whalers she doesn't like the ride in because she has had disc surgery and Whalers ride rough. My love for this classic hull ski boat may get the best of me. The new boats today are so jazzed up I don't like them at all. Thanks again.

No ski boat rides smooth.

Well I guess they do if it is glass. I trailer my boat to a launch near our ski spot rather than drive from the house I have the use of because I do not want to pound my boat to bits hahaha. But then again the area between the 2 spots is called "the washing machine" for a reason. A friend has a Donzi with twin 250, that thing rides pretty smooth but of course you aren't going to ski behind it haha

supra engine mount.jpgsupra engine mount.jpg,

Here is what I'm looking at. No telling how bad things are throughout. My guess is not good. Floors solid can not get a ice pick to go through anywhere.

Sorry here is a better pic.
    supra 3.jpg

My Supra the bad spots were the ones you couldn't see. Like where the cross braces notched into the stringers. The engine mount area was "ok" To be honest I am amazed that the floor is solid. The boat I bought was rack stored indoors but the floor was rotted from underneath from the wet flotation foam.

That hole you see where it did not get any fiberglass is where I stuck my finger. You can push clean through if you tried. So sad the company did not do a better job of sealing the back of the boat and or allowing the water to escape to the center bilge.

Much appreciated. I agree 6K is probably crazy. It has been for sale now for 2 months. Started at 10,500. Sold new for 15,500 in Dec 1984. The rest of the boat is a 9 out of 10 its so hard to determine value. I'm going to go work on it in the morning I'll post the outcome.