Default 2001 Launch SSV won't go over 3000 RPM

I have a 2001 launch SSV I purchased earlier this year. It has run like a champ since I got it.

I took it out over the 4th of July weekend and had it on the water for 3 days and it ran strong the whole time.

I took it out this last weekend and all of a sudden had no power at full throttle. I noticed that it would not go over 3000 RPM's. I did not see any sensor lights or anything out of the ordinary, other than it seemed to have no power when I tried to pull, or put the throttle down. It started fine, idled well, and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with engine sound.

the only difference this time out was the grade of gas that I used. I had been using mid grade gas in the engine. This time when I filled up I used a higher grade gas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to trouble shoot this issue. I am a 1st time boat owner and am not sure where the issue may be.

Any suggestions/ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by tld View Post
    I have a 2001 launch SSV I purchased earlier this year. It has run like a champ since I got it.

I took it out over the 4th of July weekend and had it on the water for 3 days and it ran strong the whole time.

I took it out this last weekend and all of a sudden had no power at full throttle. I noticed that it would not go over 3000 RPM's. I did not see any sensor lights or anything out of the ordinary, other than it seemed to have no power when I tried to pull, or put the throttle down. It started fine, idled well, and I did not notice anything out of the ordinary with engine sound.

the only difference this time out was the grade of gas that I used. I had been using mid grade gas in the engine. This time when I filled up I used a higher grade gas.

Does anyone have any suggestions for the best way to trouble shoot this issue. I am a 1st time boat owner and am not sure where the issue may be.

Any suggestions/ideas/tips would be greatly appreciated!!!!!
    May be wrong, but I've been having pretty much the same issue as you. Did some searching around, and seems the fuel filter can be a cause for the issues we're experiencing. The filter is located under the rear seat beside the ballast pump; It's a silver inline fuel filter. You can pick a new one up at Napa or Oreilly Auto Parts:

Napa Filter

Orielly Filter

Just changed my filter out, and the old one was so damn clogged I could barely blow through it. FYI, my boat ran fine until 3800 RPMs and then it would surge and start falling on it's face. Hoping the issue has been resolved, will know once I put it back in the water today.

Also did the plugs and just ordered new wires as well, figured might as well get it all at once so I don't have to worry about it.

Anyways, I hope that helps you out brotha.

I had the same problem, idled fine and ran in gear fine but trying to get over 20mph was a struggle. Come to find out after investigating I was starving it for air, higher grade gas burns faster needing more air, I cleaned the filter/arrestor and i haven't had a problem since. Not saying this is your fix but sounds similar.