Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Advancing the Engine Manually

How do you advance the engine manually on Indmar 5.7 engine - 2000 Launch? I was thinking there would be a bolt, but it looks like a spanner wrench is required, is that correct?

Thanks

Most set-ups have a single bolt holding a clamp at the base of the distributor. You loosen the bolt and then turn the distributor by hand to achieve the advance you want...then re-tighten the bolt.

Default Advancing the Engine Manually

Thanks. I should have been more clear on my question. I am trying to advance the fly wheel manually and was trying to figure out the best way to do that. I want to tighten the damper plate to the fly wheel through an observation hole in the bell housing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

can you not get a socket on the bolt holding the balancer and pulley to the crank on the front of the motor?

my old boat had a bolt you could turn. I was surprised then I went to advance the engine by turning the nut and found the impeller housing mounted to the center of the pulley. Wish I had pick but boat is in storage.

Quote Originally Posted by td in nc View Post
    my old boat had a bolt you could turn. I was surprised then I went to advance the engine by turning the nut and found the impeller housing mounted to the center of the pulley. Wish I had pick but boat is in storage.
    Here is a link which shows the impeller on the pulley

Okay one more try - apologies for the mess.
    Quote Originally Posted by chris young View Post
    can you not get a socket on the bolt holding the balancer and pulley to the crank on the front of the motor?
    my old boat had a bolt you could turn. I was surprised then I went to advance the engine by turning the nut and found the impeller housing mounted to the center of the pulley. Wish I had pick but boat is in storage. https://www.flickr.com/photos/indmar/6971481624/

I have the same setup as most later indmars are all the same. I pull all the spark plugs and flick the key till it turns over to #1TDC You can also use a remote starter butter with two aligator clips on it directly to the starter. This way can be less frustrating. This is the way I do it anyway. What year model and engine do you have? Some ignition timing has to be done via PC hookup such as MEFI 5. Good luck