Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

That's exactly right. Just add your electric pump back close to the tank, or at least before the mechanical pump.

Kevin Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Kma4444 View Post
    That's exactly right. Just add your electric pump back close to the tank, or at least before the mechanical pump.
    So, let's say that I needed to remove my gas tank in the future. If I had the electric pump mouted near the tank, could I just disconnect the output hose from the electric pump and connect a line to it flowing into a gas can and turn on the ignition and watch the electric pump drain the tank?

I'm sure at some point I'll have to remove that tank again (as that's the only access to my rudder packing).

Just curious.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Yes you can do that. I would run it very long that way. But you could do a tank let it sit and cool then do another and so on. I would be afraid of running it for a long period and burning it out. With that said I once had a mechanic who insisted I needed to drain a full tank of gas out of my baja. Mind you I just put the gas in two days before I needed service. He then tried to charge me for 5 hours labor at 135$ an hour to have his guy watch the pump. I really wanted to kill this guy. FYI this service was for a tuneup. Last time I used that mechanic and I made sure everyone on the lake new not to use him.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't you also need something to tell the pump to shut off when the engine is not running, but the key is still in 'ignition' position, like it would with any fuel injection system? I'm talking about if you were to install it permanently into your system.

I have to agree. I don't know this for a fact, but I've always assumed that the reason why they are wired this way is that they can run all day long as long as they are pumping fuel, but when the pressure builds and there's no fuel flow it will kill the pump. I've got a dead one out of my car that I'm planning to see if I can get running again to use as a fuel transfer pump.

Those are fuel injection (high pressure) pumps. These low pressure pumps can sit pressurized and be just fine. I have a super small electric pump in mine (no mechanical pump) and I've never had a problem.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

The one that I have looks like this... not sure if it's the same exact model, but it might be.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pf...7N_RoCfIbw_wcB

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.

Quote Originally Posted by trayson View Post
    The one that I have looks like this... not sure if it's the same exact model, but it might be.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/pf...7N_RoCfIbw_wcB
    I think before I'd mess with your lines I'd verify if it's vapor lock or a vent issue. People on this board seem pretty quick to point the finger at vapor lock, when it seems like you have tons of evidence pointing towards a venting issue.

That pump would be OK to use as either a replacement or an addition to your mechanical fuel pump. It can be put right in line with the existing fuel line and can be wired into the ignition solenoid to only run when the key is on.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Coast guard regulations require that the pump only run when the engine is running. My carbureted 95 has a pressure switch plumbed into the oil gallery to kill the pump. Doesn't cost much and is cheap insurance.
    1995 Supra Sunsport 454

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I think before I'd mess with your lines I'd verify if it's vapor lock or a vent issue. People on this board seem pretty quick to point the finger at vapor lock, when it seems like you have tons of evidence pointing towards a venting issue.

That pump would be OK to use as either a replacement or an addition to your mechanical fuel pump. It can be put right in line with the existing fuel line and can be wired into the ignition solenoid to only run when the key is on.
    I agree that the next trip out I'll try the SIMPLE test of cracking the gas cap to equalize pressure. That's the easiest test I can do. Even easier than running off an external tank.

Rain for the next few days. we'll continue to monitor and troubleshoot.