Default Trailer brake question

had older OE supra trailer with 4 wheel hydraulic drum brakes that I just replaced the entire brake assemblies on last week. had to screw the pads together in order for the drum to fit over the new part. bled the lines and took it down the road. noticed that the drums were hot- not like burning, but hot. will this happen with the new assemblies and it will take a while for the pads to wear in???

A little warm isn't bad... could you keep your hand on them without it burning you?

How level is your trailer? If it's low on the tongue end, it may be activating your brakes as you drive down the road which would make them hotter than normal. How do the wheels/bearings feel?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

I did all the bearings and brakes/hydraulics on mine last month. Original hubs/drums though. If they're getting HOT (can't touch at all or for more than a second or two) then your brakes are adjusted too tight. After towing for a couple hundred miles and stopping for a rest stop my hubs are all quite warm but I can hold my hand on them indefinitely.

Back off the adjusters. With the trailer jacked up you should be adjusted so you can spin the drum and it slightly rubs in one spot but is free for most of the rotation. If the you back off the adjuster and have to push the shoes together to fit the drum but they spring apart if you don't push them together.... Something is wrong. Sounds almost like that's what you're saying. They would be rubbing on the drums too tight all the time if that is the case. Check the springs, shoes should be pulled in tight together at all times by the springs to on the bottom the adjuster keeps them spread and the top will expand when the wheel cylinder actuates but fully retract on their own.

It will take a some miles for shoes to wear in to the same curvature as the drum. Wear in old drums, manufacturing tolerances in new shoes... But adjusted properly you should have no issues.

Are all the hubs about the same temp? Can you hold your hand on them after towing? Have an IR temp gun to check temp? If you can hold your hand on them indefinitely after towing without a bunch of hard stops before checking then you're probably fine. Pop a drum and check wear after a few tows if you're worried. If they're getting can't touch 'em HOT then pull the drums and inspect/adjust.

ok sounds like I just need to pay attention to it on next pull. boat is level when towing, and all the drums rotate freely when trailer is off the ground. I could hold my hand on it but not indefinitely!!! they were hot- like rickey bobbies wife!! I will ck with my IR gauge next time to see exact temp. and I need to let all know- I was going fast and stopping hard to beat a huge rain storm on way home, so that may have not helped, but it was hot enough to cause concern and wanted to get some input thanks!!!