Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PCM 351 5.8 Pro-tec questions

So when we first took out my 96 La Brisa, we had some trouble getting it started. The guys I was with noticed I had a couple of disconnected/missing hoses.

here's a picture of a similar engine with the hose I'm missing circled. Appears to just be ventilation - do you think this would cause starting problems? One of the guys plugged it (at the oil fil cap) with his thumb and we eventually got the engine started. After it warmed up, we didn't really have to do it again - just give the boat a little bump in throttle before going back to neutral and starting it again. May have been purely coincidental.

I can't find any pics of the area where the second hose is - but it's a rigid tube coming from the bottom of the engine somewhere, which has a rubber hose attached to it near the top of the engine. It crosses over the top but then looks like it's just been cut off. I couldn't figure out where it was supposed to go.

I'll try to get a pic of it tonight.

that hose goes into your flame arrestor , let me find a pick of my engine without the cover,
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Default PCM 351 5.8 Pro-tec questions

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Thanks, yeah that's what I noticed from all the other pictures I found. Any ideas as to why someone would remove it? haven't heard back from the previous owner about it, and the mechanic that checked the boat out for me made no mention of it - but I really only asked him to look at the basics (runs well, fluid check, compression test).

Quote Originally Posted by PBWolf View Post
    Thanks, yeah that's what I noticed from all the other pictures I found. Any ideas as to why someone would remove it? haven't heard back from the previous owner about it, and the mechanic that checked the boat out for me made no mention of it - but I really only asked him to look at the basics (runs well, fluid check, compression test).
    It looks like that hose is attached to the intake of the engine, which is in a vaccum when the engine is running. This would reduce crankcase pressure and allows the engine bypass gasses to enter the intake and thus be burned by the engine. I can't imagine it having an effect on starting. It might add to oil leakage though. It looks like there is a hose running from the other valve cover to the base of the carburetor too.

Thanks. You know, I'm kind of an idiot - I realized when looking at the engine the other day that it's not the protec at all. For some reason, it's got the pro-tec cover like in the picture, but it's got a holley carb underneath and there is no hookup for that hose (suppose that's why it's missing). I think someone converted this from the pro-tec EFI to carb for some reason.

Check to see if you have ribs on the sides of your heads. They will also have a gt stamp on it. Also do you have a flame arrestor on the carb. If not to better get one. You don't want any chance for a spark to ignite your boat. Saw a boat go up once and it wasn't pretty.
    Last edited by Cusefan78; 09-11-2014 at 11:22 AM.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

It has the flame arrester on top, under the plastic cover - but I didn't see the puck thing, just a regular distributor.. that's what led me to believe it wasn't EFI.

Yeah you still should have a spot n the flame arrestor for that tube.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Quote Originally Posted by PBWolf View Post
    Thanks. You know, I'm kind of an idiot - I realized when looking at the engine the other day that it's not the protec at all. For some reason, it's got the pro-tec cover like in the picture, but it's got a holley carb underneath and there is no hookup for that hose (suppose that's why it's missing). I think someone converted this from the pro-tec EFI to carb for some reason.
    Pro-tec isn't EFI. protec is coilpacks on the ignition system and no distributer, but the Pro Boss with the protec's have a carb. Just like on cjtpilot's picture. I think the EFI engine you're thinking of is the GT-40. That's a common engine that later model PCM/Ford based boats had.
    2008 Moomba Mobius XLV. Monster Cargo Bimini, and more mods to come...

1992 Supra Sunsport. **SOLD** 2k pounds ballast, Surf System, Blue LED's everywhere, decent audio system.

Tow Rig: 2013 F150 Ecoboost FX4 (wife's rig) Other money pits include:1998 BMW M3 Cabriolet, 2002 Audi S6 Avant, 2005 Kawasaki ZX-6R 636.