Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Anyone replace paddle wheel in the transducer on 2008 Supra

Hey all,

Speedo not working - well, intermittent, other parts of the transducer, temp and depth are working ok.

I have purchased the paddle wheel, anyone replaced one of these? Is it hard/easy? I sure hope it's this $30 part
    and not the entire transducer (10x that amount)

Thanks in advance.
    Todd
    2008 24 SSV, Gravity Games Edition.

Quote Originally Posted by tg0824SSVGG View Post
    Hey all,

Speedo not working - well, intermittent, other parts of the transducer, temp and depth are working ok.

I have purchased the paddle wheel, anyone replaced one of these? Is it hard/easy? I sure hope it's this $30 part
    and not the entire transducer (10x that amount)

Thanks in advance.
    Todd
    Very easy.

Put the boat on the trailer. Don't want to do this in the water.

Pull up your v-drive access so you can see the hull.

Look for the black AIRMAR triducer. It'll have wires coming off it. This will be on the port side slightly from the V of your hull.

Unscrew that transducer, should be able to do this by hand.

Pull the tri-ducer through the thru-hull connector. You'll pull the paddlewheel assembly with it.

Replace paddle wheel. Make sure the "scoops" face towards the bow of the boat when its reinstalled.

Screw everything back in place. Be sure the arrow points towards the bow so the paddle wheel is facing the correct direction.

Voila, you're done.

If things still don't work, there's another thread on here that has some info on how to test certain wires to be sure you're getting a signal from the triducer. That will determine whether or not its bad.
    Last edited by Zim; 08-25-2014 at 11:51 AM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Default Anyone replace paddle wheel in the transducer on 2008 Supra

Thanks, I will look tonight if its not raining.

Piece of cake -- hardest part was the 2 zip strips that they put on the cables (and that it's in a REALLY tight spot) -- won't be able to water test for a while, but at least it's changed. Hopefully this is it.

I hope so - the transducer is not cheap!

Thanks Mike!

Were there any paddles broken off of your old paddlewheel?
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

No. I never put the dummy plug in when trailering (duh, or I would have known where this is) nor do I put tape over it when trailering - the other thing they suggest. It spins in the wind - and I trailer my boat at least 3500 miles a year, so I am hopeful it was just worn out - but I am still worried it may be the transducer itself - which is still working fine for water temperature (although it always reads 3-4 degrees high) and depth.

I wonder, if it has to be replaced, whether or not I could buy a Perfect Pass GPS upgrade to replace it - I don't ever (well, only once) go in water with a current.

Yeah, you can replace the main brain with a stargazer brain and its plug and play. My transducer is bad, so stargazer will come one day. Your boat is DBW, so even easier.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

So - the new paddlewheel is in - but the reading is still intermittent.

Perfect Pass says that I can't use the stargazer upgrade - as the PP in the boat I have is just part of the main boat computer, it's not a seperate module.
    PP says I would have to purchase the entire PP GPS unit and install it along side the computer - and it would NOT integrate with the existing Speedo - so no
    good option there.

I will now go on a hunt for the P617V transducer. Wish me luck - gotta have that perfect pass.

Did you test the signal wire to see what kind of resistance it puts out when you spin the paddle? There may be some something else wrong with it. If your signal is intermittent, you could have a corroded/lose connection or just a bad ground. Check the wiring first, you may get lucky there.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

This is a good thread to reference for testing.

https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...ng-in-RPM-Mode
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V