Default Saltwater effects.

Just test drove a 2008 supra with indmar 325 in it. Was checking out the v drive and engine area, for a boat thats spent its life in salt water i was surprised how little corrosion or rush was pressent. There was a little eg hose clamds and bolt heads etc, but it seamed nothing serious. I will be using the boat in fresh water only, im just after some guidance on which parts shpukd or shoukdnt be rusty or corroding. Also boat ran like a dream.

I recently purchased a 2006 24ssv with a 8.1 vortec engine. I am in Ohio and the boat was in New Orleans, first question I asked was "has it ever been in salt water?" I was told no always fresh water. I drove down to test drive the and we launched the boat into the Intercostal waterway, I asked "isn't this salt water?" he said no brackish. I bought the boat despite the fact that it was in salt water. Same with it, clamps and brackets show some corrosion. Worst part though is some corrosion under the dash. The wiring for the perfect pass was corroded and it had stopped working. Nothing else has been an issue with the boat.
    2006 24SSV 8.1 Vortec

I would at least crack the rises and take a look/see and change the gaskets.
    Last edited by CornRickey; 08-26-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Ok, so bought a salt boat. a 1991 sunspot. You should be fine if its well keep. The key is fresh water wash down. The engine need a rebuild sooner than if its a freshwater boat. just do a compression test. Im sure its good to go.

- EDGE
    IT's just a boat - You need to love it!
    Caress Me down - 1991 Supra Sunsport