Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Click Click Click Start, 1986 Supra Sunsport starting problems.

Purchased my first boat a month ago and have been working on getting it running well. After replacing the starter, and starter relay, I took her out for a test run and everything seemed to be running great. After about 4 hours on the lake with no problems, the engine wouldn't start. The starter relay would click but not start. Thankfully I was within swimming distance of the boat launch and was able to get the boat out of the water and back to the house. I thought that it was a bad battery or possibly a bad ground so I cleaned up the grounds, and checked the battery. Battery was good 12.6v. but still just clicking. Got another battery just in case, same thing. I finally figured out that if i click the switch repeatedly it would eventually turn over and start. Replaced the ignition switch because I thought that might have something to do with it. Replaced the connections to the battery and again checked the grounds. Still the same thing. At this point I am scratching my head and would love any thoughts the forum might have. Below is a link to a video if you would like to hear what is going on for yourself. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

http://youtu.be/MmHuwPhycUk

Make sure you have voltage at the S term of the relay when the key is turned to the start position . Where did you get the starter and relay ?

Umm, if the key is triggering the solenoid, then the key is good. Check for voltage on the switched side of the solenoid. It sounds like you have a bad starter.
    1992 Supra Comp Ts6m 5000 Series PCM 5.8 HO Pro Boss Protec Ignition (not converted) w/ 4010 "Fish Bowl" Carb
    1.23:1 tranny
    "Silent Rider. Quiets The Competition." muffler isn't so silent anymore. ITS HOLLOW!

1989 Correct Craft Martinique B/R PCM 5.8 Power Plus Package

1984 E-Scow

That was my first thought but the starter was brand new from SkiDim so i was second guessing myself. It was just me yesterday, so I couldn't check the switched side voltage but I will tonight. Guess it is time to ping Skidim and get a replacement. Thanks for responding.

Check out https://forum.supraboats.com/showthr...eird+heat+soak. We had a big discussion regarding starters and there's some really useful info in there.

I'd use a screwdriver to short the starter and see if it spins. That will tell you if it's the starter or the relay. I'd also try and pull on the belt at the front of the engine and see if you can get it to move at all. Sometimes the teeth on the ring gear and the starter will be just-right and sort of jam each other up. You'd probably still hear the starter whirring but it is possible.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

My guess is the relay. As wotan stated, use the screw driver across the main starter terminal and solenoid terminal to check. A remote button with two aligator clips is also a more confident way of doing this. Also, how confident are you that your main lead to the starter is good. Good luck and keep us informed of your results.
    Just read it again and tend to think that the wiring related to the key and relay could be sus. The short out trick at the starter motor will be your key to fault finding i believe.
    Last edited by carlossa; 08-26-2014 at 05:06 AM.

I had the same problem on my fishing boat. It ended up being a bad connection. Went through and replaced all the old corroded connections and haven't had a problem since.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Check the neutral safety switch, that the same symptom my boat has when i t docent want to start. That system can be a bit finicky, defiantly when you have 30 year old controls.
    IT's just a boat - You need to love it!
    Caress Me down - 1991 Supra Sunsport

I'd guess either a bad connection or a bad starter solenoid.