Thread: Tire Size?

Default Tire Size?

OK.... I noticed my inner front tires was wearing really bad so I was going to replace them. Then I noticed one side of the boat had 205-75-14 and the other side had 215-75-14? So I took it to where they put them on and they put back 215-75-14's on all 4.. My question is what size is my boat trailer supposed to have? And what would cause the inside on the front tires to wear so bad.. I must add most the time I have pulled it is short distance from storage to the dock which is not even a mile and I make 4 turns. Its a 2002 Boatmate tandem axel for my 22ssv

I once had a trailer that wore the inside of the tires very fast and in a ridge looking pattern. It was so bad that I thought the axle had to be bent. I replaced the cheap factory rubber with decent Michelins and never had an odd wear pattern again. It was cheap tires, not the trailer.

I too agree about the quality of the tire and that bent axles can cause these types of issues.

Either size will fit fine....the 205 is the standard OEM. The 215 negligibly larger, but provides a bit more capacity.

Front tires of a tandem will wear faster than the rears as these "scrub" during turns......the wear of the tire is specific to speed and sharpness of the turn meaning that slow speeds and in particular tight turns wear the fronts aggressively. I trailer a lot so I rotate front to back each season.
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV