Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post
    It's not temporary, we don't have US cost guard here, we can do what we want on our engines.
    I know you're limited by what you can get for parts over there, but just because you can bypass or rig something up, doesn't mean you should. You are creating a very dangerous situation for yourself and any passengers you bring aboard. I know you are good at creating things on a whim with things you have laying around, but when it comes to fuel systems on an enclosed engine hatch, you can't take shortcuts with parts.

As Michael is trying to tell you, you need to get the right parts to make it run well, and get the right components to keep it safe as well. I don't want to see a post from you one day with a picture of the center of your boat all burnt up from fire.

Pull that carb off as it doesn't look like a Marine Carb at all, no overflow tubes going into the carb. And get a good marine grade carb.

Guys, no offence to anybody, I will just explain my point of view.
    I use this boat every day or so, doing wakeboarding.
    I will not reinvent the whell, I just try to improve my entire setup (tower, hifi, engine etc.), because I like it. I like to make things going better than factory. Ok I'm probably wrong with the remanufactured 1409 Edelbrock (maybe a new one would worked just perfect without issue).
    I choose it because I read alot about it and it looked to save gas.

I'm not a "like factory" man, I dream of a 67 convertible Mustang, I probably will get one in few years and be sure I will modify many things on it (breaking system, engine, interior etc.)

I got this boat and I love it. It has already been modified by it's previous owner : There is an electronic ignition from mercruiser, a front crank water pump, car battery (I had one more, still car's).

I'm ok there is a risk with the rubber hose on carb, but, I have no belt on this side of the engine, because of the crank water pump. I've done it few times on other boats because the solid hose was leaking, never had any issue. I will check for a new one on the Holley and one for the Edelbrock, but if I can't find it, I will leave it this way, as it works just fine, and every car is this way.

The Holley is back in place since the first day I was not happy with the Edelbrock. I will buy a rebuild kit and a spring for the vacuum device. I'm also planning to put a spacer between exhaust manifolds with a oxygen sensor + O2 gauge to can perfectly tune the Holley.

Marine parts are twice the price of car parts, and difficult to get here, so I put as much car parts I can. I put marine parts when it's really needed, like marine carb, marine speakers, every other hifi parts are from cars. It's now 3 years without issue. Idem for my car's batteries.

The solid hose will probably cost me something like 50$, I just try to find a cheaper solution, keeping in mind safety and good performances.

I will end this season this way and will let you know what I decide this winter regarding carburetors on my boat.

Thanks again for your help and advices guys
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Default 4150 Holley swap for 1409 Edelbrock on 454 PCM

That's a 650 cfm edlebrock marine carb , bolted up and adjusted the idle and that was it . Make sure your CFM is correct , to big of a carb the engine will load up . Too less it will run too lean . Both would cause your issues . But please don't run auto carb on inboard with closed hood . Jet boats and open engine bay style boat would be ok but your asking to seriously hurt yourself or someone else with those vapors . Do you have auto plug wires ? If you do start it at night and watch the fireworks against your block and other grounds . May not happen now but why take the risk .

My two cents .

Happy boating

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by lively; 09-24-2014 at 08:21 PM.
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Thanks for advises lively.
    I'm also happy to see that I'm not the only one running a rubber hose to the carburetor ...
    Some here have good results with the #1409 600cfm on the 454 with no issue.
    My carburetor is actually a marine one, but remanufactured. Means as mentionned by Michael hunter that it has been rebuilt with average parts, including car parts, as the Accelerator pump.

I just put the carb for sale on our Craigslist. Will see if it goes. If it does, I will properly rebuild the Holley and try an oxygen sensor system to tune it the most efficient I can.

I don't know if the spark wires are automotive or not. Assuming yes, I never saw any spark Under the Hood.
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

Default 4150 Holley swap for 1409 Edelbrock on 454 PCM

You needed a 650 for the 454 , not enough fuel , I broke my hard line from pump to carb . Although once I get a flaring tool I'll go get some brake line and bend it and make a new one . The edlebrock works great with my setup . And I just got tired of messing with my holley and keeping it from leaking from secondaries . But I later found a cracked booster so replacing was a good choice . Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT NOT TO BE LIVELY

Quote Originally Posted by Sdc77 View Post

I got this boat and I love it. It has already been modified by it's previous owner : There is an electronic ignition from mercruiser, a front crank water pump, car battery (I had one more, still car's).

I'm ok there is a risk with the rubber hose on carb, but, I have no belt on this side of the engine, because of the crank water pump. I've done it few times on other boats because the solid hose was leaking, never had any issue. I will check for a new one on the Holley and one for the Edelbrock, but if I can't find it, I will leave it this way, as it works just fine, and every car is this way.

The Holley is back in place since the first day I was not happy with the Edelbrock. I will buy a rebuild kit and a spring for the vacuum device. I'm also planning to put a spacer between exhaust manifolds with a oxygen sensor + O2 gauge to can perfectly tune the Holley.

Marine parts are twice the price of car parts, and difficult to get here, so I put as much car parts I can. I put marine parts when it's really needed, like marine carb, marine speakers, every other hifi parts are from cars. It's now 3 years without issue. Idem for my car's batteries.

The solid hose will probably cost me something like 50$, I just try to find a cheaper solution, keeping in mind safety and good performances.
    That's great and all that you like to modify your boat, but you need to do it safely, or don't do it. Cars are very different than boats, because in a car, the engine is housed in steel with a firewall between you and any combustion that could happen. You still see cars on the side of the road with their engines on fire due to bad parts. Just because most cars are this way, doesn't mean they're immune to the dangers associated with fuel leaks and vapors.

Boats, on the other hand, are made of fiberglass. Fiberglass is like a fire's best friend. Boats go up in flames in a matter of seconds in the fire catches the right parts. That's the reason the US Coast guard mandates fuel system safety the way they do. They don't do it to make it a pain in the ass to get parts, they do it because it lowers the risk of death.

As for opening your engine cover, that's great and all, but if you don't have a blower in there just opening the hatch isn't going to do anything. Gas vapors are heavier than air... this means they don't escape when you open the hatch because they sit in the bottom of your bilge. This is why a blower is placed low in your bilge area, to suck the gasses out that fall low in the bilge.

To be completely honest, if you're not willing to spend 50 bucks on a fuel line that prevents your entire boat from going up in flames, then you need to prioritize a bit. Spend the money on parts that save your life, not on audio equipment with stainless screws that prevent corrosion.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    This is a typical armature attempt to try and outdo the engineers that made it. There is a reason for every part on your boat . If they could get by with rubber hose they would if the Edelbrock was overall a superior carb then why didn't they use it? Your workmanship is poor in this country we would call you a hack. And then you try to justify your dangerous modifications by saying there are no rules to comply with. Its too bad there is nobody there to guide you . In the end you will have a worthless POS that nobody can fix.
    As for using an Edelbrock carb and the whole engineering bit... That's nonsense, plenty of marine engines have used AFB style carbs over the years. They are not my personal preference but technically they can meter fuel more accurately than a Holely as they are capable of variable enrichment based on load vs Holley on/off enrichment. Minimal if any gain in a boat IMO because the load is always high, not as moderate or variable as in an automotive application.

As for the rubber hose, bad idea on the pressure side. Just pick up a length of preflared brake line and bend to fit. Cheap and easy and then no worries about leaks or fires. Rubber works in a pinch but I wouldn't be comfortable running it long term. Too risky, especially considering hard line is so cheap and easy.

Hi guys. I just sold the Edelbrock. I will rebuild the Holley this winter and of course a new solid fuel line ...
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare