Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Newbee needing advice on Launch 242 and predecessors

Hello everyone! I am a newbee and am looking for our family's first boat. We have a beautiful piece of water front property in Eastern Washington complete with dock and soon to be boat lift. We have already started acquiring all of our favorite toys for skiing, wake boarding, wake surfing, a Sky Ski, and a parasail. The only thing we don't have is anything to pull all the fun with.

I thought I had narrowed my choice down to the Moomba Mobius XLV (2008 or newer), I had an opportunity to spend some time on another friend's Supra. I started doing some research and am interested in the Launch 242 or it's predecessors.

I am looking for some advice - such as I know that the 2008 and beyond Moomba XLV's were redesigned and I do not really want anything earlier than a 2008. What should I know about the various differences between the earlier version of the current Launch 242 - which I believe went through the last major revamp for the 2011 model.

I can't afford new, but I also plan to keep this boat for a good long time. I woould prefer to stretch the budget a bit than to regret buying the wrong boat.

Thanks!

I'm not sure of the generational changes on the '42 hull. But I can tell you we absolutely love ours. Any questions about the boat or pics of what the 2012 looks like, hull etc, just let me know.

Kevin Allen

What body of water and welcome aboard fellow Washingtonian.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Lake Entiat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2011 Supra Launch 242
    Lake Entiat, WA
    Lake Washington

Mine is a 2009 24 Sunsport and not the launch....either way 09 changes from 08 are listed below:

• Faster filling and emptying ballast pumps, this is a BIGGIE - individual Jabsco pumps for each bag.
    • Titan™ Swivel board racks
    • Streamlined dash and glove box pod for better visibility
    • Electric wakeplate
    • Updated ignition switch and key with battery saver
    • Flip-up bracket on double up seat (Launch 21V, 22SSV and 24SSV foot models only)
    • Flush mount pull on ski locker lid
    • Improved battery and stereo wiring
    • Improved swim platform handrail

The 2010 has a tower update (not the Illusion tower like Kma4444) but the hull is identical to the 09.
    The 2011 has the 2010 tower but with the newer hull (like Kma4444).
    The 2012 has the 2011 hull and the newer Illusion Tower.

A snap shot of the 2011 is a below........newer hull design, but a different tower from mine or Kma4444. The boat below is for sale in Indy:

2011_Supra.jpg
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

Nice info, good to have more things here on the newer boats,,,,(They will be classics one day). I saw an ad for an '07 24SSV and it was interesting to see how different the bottom of the hull is. I would be interesting to know why they changed them and what the change accomplished. I assume it was to improve the wakeboard wake, but it would be fun to know exactly why.

Kevin Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Kma4444 View Post
    Nice info, good to have more things here on the newer boats,,,,(They will be classics one day). I saw an ad for an '07 24SSV and it was interesting to see how different the bottom of the hull is. I would be interesting to know why they changed them and what the change accomplished. I assume it was to improve the wakeboard wake, but it would be fun to know exactly why.
    Agreed the hulls are different, but I've wakeboarded and surfed on a 2012 and didn't realize or better yet "feel" much difference.....I'm sure there is. The swim platform is however shaped very different and when surfing my 09 catches the curl whereas the 12 does not.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ken
    2017 NXT22
    2009 24SSV

Thanks! That's exactly what I was looking for!!

Love the big boats for sure. That's interesting that you didn't notice a difference. Would have been informative to sit in on the debrief after the new hull was lake tested and see what was thought about the huge expense to re-tool the hull and to have it not be an obvious difference.

I would agree the platform on ours doesn't touch the wakesurf wave at all. We load ours pretty heavy and get a nice wake so it's certainly nice to not have the platform mess it up.

Kevin Allen

That black/red/white boat looks SWEET!

Mark

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2018 Supra SL400