Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Marine grade plywood

I have been looking around for some three-quarter inch marine grade plywood, and every place I go it is close to $90 a sheet. Menards has it for 70. Do you think there is a huge difference in quality?
    I know generally they are not known for their good-quality lumber.
    Any thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

with plywood you normally get what you pay for. Go look at the edges and see how many layers there are and voids.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

had regular plywood floors in my old rinker Cuddy cabin I/O, in the first two years I owned the boat it went from solid floor to complete mush. I think the owner did a quick stringer and floor job. It then sat for 5 years while I was in Alaska and upon returning to the lower 48 there wasn't one piece of solid wood on the boat. The floor was also covered in a DIY rinoliner. To sum it up, don't do it!

bowz
    03 SSV 1180FWD, 750'S AFT, ACME1433, GETTO GATES FOR BOTH SIDES
    05 CUMMINS EXTRA AIR AND EVEN MORE FUEL (MAIN TOW RIG)
    08 FJ TRAIL TEAMS ED (10 MIN OR LESS TO THE RIVER TOW RIG)
    01 JETTA TDI

Bowz- I am talking about marine grade plywood. Not regular plywood. The biggest difference is the number voids and the type of glue. The website says it is seven layer with water resistant glue. I agree with Cornrickey, that it probably mainly depends on the number of voids.

When I read did my saltare i used regular plywood, but fiberglass the crap out of it.

86 Saltare

I do pontoon floors and boat decking, floors and seats . The cheapest part of any job is the material . Go with the best grade you can you will forget all about the 20 dollars you saved when the whole job has to be redone.

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    I do pontoon floors and boat decking, floors and seats . The cheapest part of any job is the material . Go with the best grade you can you will forget all about the 20 dollars you saved when the whole job has to be redone.
    Totally agree with Michael.
    This type of job is not worth trying to save 20 dollars on.
    The expense of a re-do five years later because of having used cheaper material will far and away off set the twenty dollars you tried to save.

I think he's asking if there might be a big difference in quality from the $90 to $70 one. So like others said, it really comes down to the wood. And since I probably couldn't tell a piece of quality maple from a Popsicle stick, I'd end up buying the high end one.

I don't buy any wood from the Depot or lowes . I use a local lumber yard [Georgia Hardwoods] they specialize in Cabinet grade hardwoods and marine ply. It cost what it costs all materials are high now . I have never had a bad experience with their products so I stick with them . Maybe the Depot has the same quality maybe not . The question is Do you feel lucky? Well do you?

Lol. Ask for all of the input. I found a local company that specializes in pontoon restorations. Www.pontoonrestore.com
    They do the complete deck packages. There three-quarter inch plywood that has been treated (not treated lumber) is about 65 bucks a sheet.
    I am going to go with their package, because the wood they have has a lifetime warranty against rot.

86 Saltare

Lifetime warranty doesn't mean crap when the company is out of business or you have to destroy thousand of dollars in labor and other materials to replace it.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001