Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Well after searching, I finally own a Saltare

After a few months of searching for a SunSport or Saltare, I finally found one that I thought was worth what the seller was asking. I found it on Craigslist in North Carolina. Its never been in salt water, and has been back to the factory for a floor and stringer replacement. That repair is undocumented, but after checking the hull over I believe that the work has been done, but I cannot verify that it was done at the factory. My budget was a bit less than what I paid, but after showing my wife and daughter the ad on Craigslist, I got the approval to spend the extra cash. It will need a good cleaning, waxing, scrubbing, etc. and will need some new vinyl on a few cushions, but nothing that is needed right now. I went with him to his local lake and we put it in the water and rode around a bit, checking the motor for any issues, but none were found. I am a former ASE certified mechanic and can rebuild this motor with my eyes closed if it comes to that in the future. I am looking to get a couple of seasons out of it before I have to do any major work to her. She does need some TLC, but is what I have been looking for.

...And now for the pic...

Congrats looks like a great boat. Welcome to the forum.
    1984 SUPRA ALLEGRO 454 PCM 330 HP
    14H 14L Michigan Prop

Nice looking boat. Congrats! I think I remember seeing that online recently. Get us some more pics with the interior. It's kinda hard to tell, but does it have some kind of electric winch?

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Thanks guys. The trailer is obviously not a factory trailer and does not have an electric winch. It does, however, have rollers instead of bunks and I really like that. It tows very well behind my F250. I will be taking it out this weekend even though it might be a bit chilly here in Kansas City. I will get a few pics and maybe even a video of the daughter boarding behind it if I can.

Bill

Congrats on the new boat and welcome to the forum! Lets see some more pictures.

Bowz
    03 SSV 1180FWD, 750'S AFT, ACME1433, GETTO GATES FOR BOTH SIDES
    05 CUMMINS EXTRA AIR AND EVEN MORE FUEL (MAIN TOW RIG)
    08 FJ TRAIL TEAMS ED (10 MIN OR LESS TO THE RIVER TOW RIG)
    01 JETTA TDI

Default Well after searching, I finally own a Saltare

That trailer looks to be for a boat with a stern mounted engine. I'd check the tongue weight to make sure it's not excessive.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Congrats, nice looking boat, and welcome to the forum. I picked my sunsport up 2 years ago in S.C. and trailered her back to upstate NY. These old girls seem to be in better condidtion down south. What are your plans for the boat? ski, surf, wakeboard or just cruise?
    1988 Supra Sun Sport 454 PCM
    1972 Olds Cutlass 455
    1998 BMW 750il
    1996 BMW M3 coupe
    1995 Toyota Tacoma 4x4

Welcome to the forum, Great looking Salt !

tow_rig.jpg
    1990 Supra Saltare

Congrats on the boat... I'm in KC also.

Based on your screen name, I've gotta ask. Have you been into the sportbike scene in the past 4-5 years? I remember a guy with that name....

What lake you going to?
    Last edited by Zim; 09-21-2014 at 10:23 AM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Quote Originally Posted by Moor View Post
    Congrats, nice looking boat, and welcome to the forum. I picked my sunsport up 2 years ago in S.C. and trailered her back to upstate NY. These old girls seem to be in better condidtion down south. What are your plans for the boat? ski, surf, wakeboard or just cruise?
    I actually bought it for my daughter more than me. She's 12 and is just starting to wakeboard and she loves it. My little I/O wasnt cutting it, so I searched for a few months trying to find either a Sun Sport or Saltare. I found a Sun Sport that my wife and daughters loved from the pictures on Craigslist, but was about 5 hours too late. A couple of guys from Colorado drove to Austin to look at it and drove away with it. I found this Saltare, but it was a bit out of the price range I was trying to stay in. I called the owner and talked with him and got him to come down a few hundred, but was still a bit more than I wanted to spend. After a long conversation with my wife, we decided to buy it if when I got down to North Carolina it was as I had hoped. Needless to say, I own it now. It needs some TLC which it is going to get this winter, but she's solid and we love her.

Bill