Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Diesel tow rig question

Well guys, loving my Supra! Going to be putting it away for winter here in a few weeks and will be starting on winter projects. One of my winter projects is going to be designing and building a new exhaust for my Cummins. Right now I have a 90DEG dump under the front part of my box. Its loud and covers the boat with soot something horrible.

I am ultimately wanting to run 5" duels out the back corners, but know that would make it even worse due to the truck being so high. It got me thinking if I also rig up a towing exhaust that is a single pipe exiting under the stinger just below the trailer. It would not be a pretty setup but would get the exhaust and soot flowing under the boat (bottom of boat being dirty is best case in this situation). it would be a 10 min job to hook up, clamp the exhaust on and bolt up 1 V hanger. I have a few ideas on blocking exhaust to the unwanted pipes when running either system.

Before any one chimes in about tune it clean, remove the programer or use your right foot. Yes I know and am working on tuning, it isn't easy with not having efi live for my model year so I will be upgrading my smarty. Right foot, easy to say, hard to resist for a 1200 mile road trips. And lastly I don't own a diesel to have it stock, let along own anything else and leave stock.

Any input would be great or pictures of your set up. Haven't been able to find much luck with Google or this search engine. Thanks in advance!

Bowz
    03 SSV 1180FWD, 750'S AFT, ACME1433, GETTO GATES FOR BOTH SIDES
    05 CUMMINS EXTRA AIR AND EVEN MORE FUEL (MAIN TOW RIG)
    08 FJ TRAIL TEAMS ED (10 MIN OR LESS TO THE RIVER TOW RIG)
    01 JETTA TDI

Hahahaha ... cummins problems!!!! Perhaps a modded duramax is the solution?!?

You don't think you could dump it before the rear axle? You're going to have a tough time cause I bet it rolls. Maybe another cummins guy has a solution? Might even check on that forum. You didn't sell me on extending it out to the trailer. Stacks?

Do you tow with the cover on?
    Last edited by KG's Supra24; 09-17-2014 at 10:50 PM.
    2006 Supra 24SSV

nevermind, just reread and noticed you have it dumped ....
    2006 Supra 24SSV

Not much you can do about it really. My 7.3 is stock and still puts out some coal. My buddies that had stacks couldn't carry anything in the bed of their trucks because it would get coated in soot bad. It is just the nature of the beast.

On a side note, one of my friends used to have a diesel that put out 729hp on a dyno and that was without the nos, I remember towing his Baja 292 and putting the back tires up in smoke merging on the highway. Eventually it spun the splines on the trans input shaft and they had to cut it apart with a torch. It was a sh!t show.

Here's a idea. Put proper tunes on your chip so your not smoking everyone out, especially your boat.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

[QUOTE=Wulphie;112677]Not much you can do about it really. My 7.3 is stock and still puts out some coal. My buddies that had stacks couldn't carry anything in the bed of their trucks because it would get coated in soot bad. It is just the nature of the beast.

On a side note, one of my friends used to have a diesel that put out 729hp on a dyno and that was without the nos, I remember towing his Baja 292 and putting the back tires up in smoke merging on the highway. Eventually it spun the splines on the trans input shaft and they had to cut it apart with a torch. It was a sh!t show.[/QUOTE

If your stock 7.3 is blowing black smoke then you have either a clogged filter or significant injector issue, both equate to poor performance.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Here's a idea. Put proper tunes on your chip so your not smoking everyone out, especially your boat.
    HA thanks. I knew some one had that answer. I will say it AGAIN, I'm working on it...

With a stock truck or a great tune any pre DPF truck is going to have some haze. Hence me trying to figure out the best place to dump the exhaust.

Bowz
    Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

You don't think you could dump it before the rear axle? You're going to have a tough time cause I bet it rolls. Maybe another cummins guy has a solution? Might even check on that forum. You didn't sell me on extending it out to the trailer. Stacks?

Do you tow with the cover on?
    That is where I have it dumped, it is rolling just like you said, that is why I am hoping dumping it center line as far back as possible it will flow under the boat before it comes over the bow. I'm was a regular on the cumminsforum until people with no good input on the subject would chime in to get there post count up or what ever reason they felt the need to put useless post in threads. I would take a dmax in a heart beat, I just got this sweet deal on a Cummins and they threw in a free truck. Couldn't pass it up.

Bowz
    01 JETTA TDI

Quote Originally Posted by KG's Supra24 View Post

What if you have a turn-down or side exit after the rear axle...less time for the smoke to roll and land on the boat.

What program are you using to tune the truck?
    '89 Conbrio

The first exhaust I had was a side exit under the rear quarter panel and stock programing. It still would turn my old cudy cabin a black/grey on long road trips. I honestly think the only way is to get it as far back and as low as possible, I just don't know how to do it and still be ascetically pleasing with out doing a temp "towing" exhaust.

currently running a smarty. It can be pretty dirty if I run it on kill, and can't remember the last time I had it loaded with a crazy heavy fueling tune. I'm wanting to get a the UDC dongle, but don't know to much about it since I have fell out of the "mod your truck crowd" guess getting older you get more boring. I've also ran superchips, edge juice w/attitude and edge EZ in the past.

Bowz
    01 JETTA TDI

easy solution = HOOD STACK!!!!!! just kidding, from looking at it and from experience I would say run it right in front of the passenger rear tire but don't let it stick out past the tires. That way when rolling it will hit the tire and hopefully deflect from going directly on the boat. Maybe add a muffler for towing it might help reduce some while at towing speed but it wont help at all if gagging on it. You could also add a bigger turbo to increase your air flow. Or better yet add twin turbo set up!!!!!
    Last edited by bens250ex; 09-30-2014 at 01:50 PM.