Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Trailer rebuild, thoughts on bearing buddies

I am in the process of rebuilding my entire braking and hub assemblies on my trailer. I have used bearing buddies in the past, but have still blown up bearings. Any thoughts?
    1987 Supra Sunsport
    351 PCM

I am not a fan of BBs. The idea is to keep a positive pressure inside the hub so the water will not be sucked in when submerged. The problem is the amount of pressure pumped into the hub . Too much and you blow grease out of the seal at the rear. If you have drum brakes it will get all over the brake shoes. I have them on all my trailers but I don't pump them up with grease. I just use a high quality marine bearing grease and check the bearings every year.

Also not a BB fan. In order to grease my BBs I had to roll the trailer forward or backwards 2-3 times, otherwise they would not get enough grease. I admit the sealed bearings I switched to are more labor intensive. Every spring I pull them apart and grease. Trailer shop says the sealed bearing should be fine for multiple seasons but for the hour it takes once a year it is worth it to not have a bearing failure. Good luck with the rebuild.

I'm happy with my BBs. Once a year I just give them 5-6 pumps of grease. I've taken my drums apart many times and have never found grease inside of them. The only time I've seen the grease seals fail is when the BB is overfilled.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I've towed lots of trailers. nautical and otherwise, and I'd vote for external grease capabilities always. I am alright with the spring loaded ones like the BB, but my favorites are the ones that just allow the grease to come back out around the outer bearing. Pump it a few times, wipe out the old grease that pushes out and away you go.

Kevin Allen

My BB's are filled with oil and a sight window. That's a first for me, but so far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I'm happy with my BBs. Once a year I just give them 5-6 pumps of grease. I've taken my drums apart many times and have never found grease inside of them. The only time I've seen the grease seals fail is when the BB is overfilled.
    Yes but how do you know the BB is not already full ant the5-6 pumps of grease will over fill them. After years of adding grease where does all that grease go?

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    Yes but how do you know the BB is not already full ant the5-6 pumps of grease will over fill them. After years of adding grease where does all that grease go?
    I don't know where the grease goes, but you can see the outer spring move out as you fill them with grease. As long as the spring doesn't "bottom out" they seem to work fine. If I had to guess, I would say the grease seeps out the back side of the seal due to the pressure being applied.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

To check your bearing buddies, all you need to do is press on/around the grease fitting. If it moves, you have enough grease. If it doesn't move or bottoms out, you need to add grease until it no longer bottoms out. I have over 6,000 miles on my trailer since I purchased the boat back in 2010 and who knows how many more miles on top of that and the bearings are still great today. I even did my due diligence before hauling all the way to TN and back for the reunion and pulled the bearing buddies off and cleaned out all the grease for the first time since owning the trailer. It is the overfilling of the bearing buddies that will eventually lead to failure. Too much pressure time and time again will eventually blow out the seal and then lead to issues down the road.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

if you are going to rebuild the hubs and brakes maybe go disc with wet lubrication. my trailer has it works good less maitenance.