Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default 1986 Supra Comp Fuel issues

New to owning a boat so forgive any ignorance. I’ve read on the forums regarding similar issues my boat is having. So figured I’d post and see if someone could point me in the right direction.

Boat starts fine and would run for about an hour before bogging down and dying as if being starved of gas. Now it immediately bogs and dies once pushed into gear.

I’ve replaced the fuel filter, checked the carb and ensured that other items such as the impeller and cooling are working.

I’ve been told there’s a fuel sock or in tank filter i should clean however i can’t seem to locate it. I’ve googled my rear off but nada. Before i start tearing into the boat i figured I’d ask if anyone can point me to it.

If this doesn’t work I’m leaning toward the fuel pump however this would after the fuel dock/in-tank filter.

I bought the boat, it had a full tank, I’m sure it needs to be drained so I’ll be moving the gas into a storage tank and filtering it along the way.

The boat only has 246 hours.

You should look into fuel vapor lock as well. Your tank is likely similar to mine. There is a hole as in the picture. This hole is covered by a plastic piece that has the fuel supply, and return hoses attached. There may also be a fuel level sender attached to this as well as does mine. The other aluminum fitting you see in my pic is the fuel vent line. I can see mine through an access hole in the back locker through a round plastic removable plate. The fuel supply will have a tube attached to it going down to the bottom of the tank with a sock or plastic piece with a screen at the bottom. It's a bit of a pain to check unless you pull it totally out. I had to remove the seats and hard ballast tank. I can take a pic of the pickup tube and screen tomorrow when I'm back from vacation. I still have it all apart. I'm currently putting the gas line back in. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I don't ever recall seeing a sock or filter on any of my Supras. You more than likely have a aluminum fuel tank . I would check the tank vent . Have you checked the
    ignition points? How did you check the carb?

Thank you!! We talked to s shop yesterday and he believed it the lifter (no sock on this boat). It’s very similar to what you’re showing me. Please shoot more pics tomorrow. Any idea where to get a replacement lifter?

I have an in-line fuel water separator filter on my 92. Purchased the filter off of amazon

I had a problem very similar to yours. It turned out to be a clogged fuel check valve. The 90 degree aluminum fitting coming out of the gas tank was almost completely blocked with debris. Once cleaned all my fuel issues disappeared.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Cinjay is correct. There is supposed to be a anti syphon valve after the aluminum 90 and before the fuel feed line. Mine was removed and so it doesn't show in the pic. I'll be getting one before my final install. Attached are some pics that may or may not be relevant to your boat. I didn't realize yours was an '86. Mine is a 2002. Hope it helps anyhow. Cheers.

The fuel pickup, return and level sender are attached to this "bucket" which is placed in the hole in the gas tank.

Biggest problem we’re having is locating the correct part number. Anybody have any websites they’ve found useful for ordering Supra parts? Next step is to drain the fuel, clean the tank, remove the sending unit to locate a part number and replace? It always sounds so easy!

https://forum.supraboats.com/album.php?albumid=585

I put some photos up of the fuel area. Feel free to shoot any info you think may help get us back on the water!