Threaded View

Default 1988 Supra Mariah Floor Restoration

Hello and thank you to everyone for all of the knowledge and information throughout the site, it has been super helpful! I had lurked for a few months before I signed up a while back. This site has been a great motivator and source of knowledge. Lots of cool stuff here!

My family use to have a 1998 Malibu Sunsetter LX, bought it brand new and sold it around 2007 or 2008. I wish we still had it, so late this summer I started looking for an older ski boat to use on Lake St Clair. I ended up with this Supra after a conversation with a friend, turns out this one was right under my nose.
    She's a 1988 Mariah in need of some TLC, bought from a family friend. He told me I was "buying a trailer that came with a project." Right up my alley! The previous owner upgraded to a brand new Mastercraft last summer and no longer has a need for this ole gal. Motor is brand new a few years back, less than 25 hours on her with a re-man trans. Interior was all also redone with the exception of the captains chair, and maybe the motor cover if I remember correctly. Regardless, aside from a little mildew from being covered up for a year, she should clean right up with a magic eraser. She sits on a newer twin axle Shore Land'r trailer. I was told the floor was in need of repair, as it had started to rot underneath the captains chair and the captains footwell/tray. This spot had been repaired once before but it managed to take on water again and saturated the foam and new floor. The floor also began to rot in the rear left corner in front of the rear seat. Stringers were supposedly good, but you never know what's inside until you tear up the floor.

This past weekend I started to dig into the boat to remove the floor. From what I can tell, I found that the previous repair had been breached by the hole used to fill the hull with foam. No surprise here, not a big deal. I managed to get the majority of the flooring and foam removed from the right side of the boat, and started on the left side for a few hours Sunday morning. The stringers are OK in some areas, but rotten at the ends. They will be replaced entirely. No half-arsing things here.

Transom is soft, so it will also be replaced in this process.

I will let these pictures speak for themselves. I have yet to remove the floor and foam on the left side, but my plan is to split the boat at the bond line and remove the top deck. This will allow for limitless access to the floor and stringers. No sense in crawling up under the front and back of the boat. All of that effort would be better spent in removing the cap and replacing the floor and stringers the correct way. I would like to keep this boat for a number of years to come so I am going to do it right the first time. I like the retro grey-blue color scheme, so I will probably stick with it. If I make a color change, it will be down the road as I would like to first get the boat fixed and on the water in the spring. I'll give her a good color sanding and wheel it out in the spring and see what the chalky exterior has left.
    I don't plan to add much to the boat. Off the top of my head things I would like to add to the boat are:

Aerial Freeride Tower
    Interior and Underwater LED Lighting
    Updated Radio w/iPod/iPhone capability
    New Interior Speakers
    Tower Speakers (Eventually)

Enjoy the pictures. I hope to add to this thread soon, weather dependent of course. I have an exterior shot of the boat but it is on my old phone. I will update soon

IMG_0607.jpgIMG_0604.jpgIMG_0605.jpgIMG_0603.jpgIMG_0597.jpg

Luke
    Last edited by lmnelson86; 10-20-2014 at 02:26 PM.