Page 11 of 23 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

I left it out too. The only thing I missed about it was the pylon was a decent place to hold onto if someone was sitting on the engine cover underway. It does feel roomier in general without it.

Lmnelson, do you have enough of a lip on the stringers to support the removable floor section over the bilge? One of the pics looks like there isn't much.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    I left it out too. The only thing I missed about it was the pylon was a decent place to hold onto if someone was sitting on the engine cover underway. It does feel roomier in general without it.

Lmnelson, do you have enough of a lip on the stringers to support the removable floor section over the bilge? One of the pics looks like there isn't much.
    Thanks for pointing this out, I may take a better look when I get home. If I remember correctly, the removable floor in my boat sat atop of these white blocks. These white blocks are a hard plastic that were used to hold up that section of the floor. Someone correct me if they are for something else.

Quote Originally Posted by wotan2525 View Post
    I'd vote to remove the pylon. You'd be surprised how much more room you'll feel like you have without it in the way.
    Well I must say I am surprised at both of your responses, I thought for sure I would be an odd duck for wanting to remove the ski pylon! I am unsure of what to do to be honest. My mother is a phenomenal water skier, and I can think of a handful of friends who would like to try. I would hate to not have the option available. Maybe I will fab up a rear mounting pylon...hmm. Decisions Decisions.

If you have a phenomenal skier in the family, that pylon will be your best friend when pulling. I have pulled a skier from the transom on my boat and they kept pulling the stern with them much like I was pulling behind a jet boat, I was very active with the steering wheel to keep the boat pointed in the right direction. Personally for me, I am more a skier than anything else so it was a no brainer to keep the pylon.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

My floor rested on something very similar to those blocks, though I plan on replacing that setup with something a little better when the time comes.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Quote Originally Posted by Jetlink View Post
    My floor rested on something very similar to those blocks, though I plan on replacing that setup with something a little better when the time comes.
    Thank you for the input. I think I may retain the pylon, it certainly will not hurt anything. I may also upgrade the manner in which the removable floor sits on the hull. Maybe Ill do some aluminum or stainless angle iron.

I opted to keep my pylon too. It's handy for skiing and bare footing, but it's also a constant hand hold for me as the driver. One time I mounted a Go-Pro to the top of the pylon and I found out just how often I put my hand there. I was constantly grabbing the Go-Pro and messing up the filming. I find it a great place to hang a coiled ski rope, let a towel dry, etc. Everyone has their preferences. You won't stand out either way.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

I decided to keep the pylon after consulting with my family. I was unable to remove the pylon from the bracket, Im assuming the corrosion inside the bracket is incredible because I had the whole thing orange hot and the pylon would still not come out. Oh well. In order to keep my bracket square to the stringers, I had to make a small spacer plate. The port stringer was less than 1/4 inch out at the top, and the bracket was not perfect. This was the easiest solution to the problem, and will be just fine.

I was able to get the rest of the floor set in the hull this weekend, as well as hit some of the bilge and transom with gelcoat. I had to paint the center/front of the bilge before I put the floor on, because I would never be able to reach in there afterwards. I ended up having enough left over to do the transom as well. I thought I would end up being short, as gelcoat is pretty thick. Once I mixed in the wax and hardener, it seemed to thin out quite a bit, which is fine with me. That means more coverage per gallon.

Majority of the perimeter of the floor has been tabbed in, with exception of the very rear 18" and the front sheet of plywood. I have to sand some of the gelcoat off before I finish the rear part for better adhesion, and the front section needs some sanding as well to remove the original floor paint for the same purpose. I was unable to do the sanding since the bedding compound up front was still wet and I did not want to contaminate it.

The removable rear section of the floor was pretty rotten so I made a new one of those as well as new backing for under the rear seat. These pieces are the ones screwed into the floor to keep items from sliding into the gas tank area of the bilge.

I hope to have the rest of the floor tabbed in tonight, as well as maybe get started on glassing the floor. I am going to sand all of the edges of the floor where they meet the stringers so that they have a nice soft edge for the glass to lay, then I should be free to glass the floor in.

Transom Coated in Gel:

Bilge:

Pylon Spacer:

Cutting the pylon hole:

Laying out the thru-floor cable holes

Front two sheets of the floor installed:

Last edited by lmnelson86; 02-03-2015 at 11:58 AM.

Starboard side tabbed in:

Port side tabbed in:

Old removable floor section:

New floor and backstops getting a first layer of glass. The removable section is two sheets of 1/2" plywood with 1 layer of 1.5 oz. mat in between. I was able to glass the other sides of all of these pieces last night, so they just need a final sanding around the edges and a quick brush of resin to be completed.

Looking great Luke, and fresh gelcoat/paint always makes things look better.

As a user of these forums, I want to say thanks for taking the time to add the pics. Showing a visual is what helps so many other people and that's what these forums are for.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839