Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Looks like you're off to a great start!

Well I spent Tuesday evening grinding down the remnants of the fiberglass from the old stringers. I'm about 90% done. Just have to grind down some more of that green/blue epoxy that the stringers are bedded in from the factory and carefully grind around the transom area.

My Doug Fir for the stringers showed up yesterday as well. I will be using Doug Fir for the main stringers and motor cradle, and pine for the rest. The lumber store didn't have Doug Fir in 1" wide, so I will use pine. The pine has been sitting in my garage forever and is perfectly straight and dry, super strong and very nice. I'd like to use it up, and it's free. Thanks Dad!

Here are a few pics of the aftermath of my grinding. Nothing special, but progress nonetheless. I am going to vacuum the hull tonight so I have a clear view of what's left to grind, and I will finish from there. Hopefully this sunday I can start trimming my stringers to shape I purposely cleaned the TV screen before I ground, just to see how much dust I would make. The garage is due for a good cleaning now, haha.

I am also going to get rid of the bow-cooler in the walk through. I see nothing but problems with built in coolers as they often fail and leak, making a mess. The plastic is brittle. I will be using the boat at my cottage and taking it out at my leisure. This will also allow for extra storage for life vests etc. I do not launch on a daily basis to spend the day on the lake like most, so taking a regular cooler is no problem for me. Usually we will go out for a session, come back in and eat lunch, and head back out etc. Our trailers usually get used just twice per season, when we put the boats in and take them out. I'm not sure if there's any interest in this cooler, but if anyone would like to take it off my hands for a fair price, please PM me.

IMG_0894.jpgIMG_0895.jpgIMG_0901.jpgIMG_0902.jpg
    Last edited by lmnelson86; 11-13-2014 at 11:55 AM.

Also considering picking up these Kicker speakers for the boat, anyone used Kickers before? Thoughts? Experience? I have 6 6.5" speakers, thinking of using 4 of these in the middle of the boat, and 2 of the same speaker, non LED, in the bowrider. I don't want to have to LEd lighting up front as it may be a distraction while driving.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641M6...-KM654LCW.html

Capture.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by lmnelson86 View Post
    Also considering picking up these Kicker speakers for the boat, anyone used Kickers before? Thoughts? Experience? I have 6 6.5" speakers, thinking of using 4 of these in the middle of the boat, and 2 of the same speaker, non LED, in the bowrider. I don't want to have to LEd lighting up front as it may be a distraction while driving.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_20641M6...-KM654LCW.html

Capture.jpg
    Kickers are great speakers!!!! However you can get a lot better on ebay !!! I am picking up 4 of these for $129
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtpilot View Post
    Kickers are great speakers!!!! However you can get a lot better on ebay !!! I am picking up 4 of these for $129
    Could you provide me with a link? I was going to wait until Black Friday/Cyber Monday and see if there will be any deals on them.

Quote Originally Posted by cjtpilot View Post

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Pair-4-Spe...item2592581c21

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-1-...item1e8f766e79

http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pair-8-Spe...item25929bfbed
    -cjtpilot...........1992 Supra Comp Ts6m..........351 PCM
    Big Air tower
    Radar Theory Slalom, Fulltilt wakeboard, barefoot.

Thank you.

I cannot seem to find any reviews or videos showing information on these speakers. I worry if they may be knock offs or cheaply built? The price is right, though.

Looking great. Way to jump in with both feet. Just for what it's worth, the built-in cooler is one of our favorite features. I hate stumbling over things in the boat and I really like to keep things open as much as possible even when we have 8 people on board. The built-in works perfectly, is out of the way, and is so simple to stock, cool, clean, etc. I have plenty of friends with much newer, more expensive boats who are jealous of my cooler. But hey, I know it's not for everyone.

1986 Saltare
    Restoration link: http://supraboats.com/bbs/showthread.php?t=7839

Quote Originally Posted by TitanTn View Post
    Looking great. Way to jump in with both feet. Just for what it's worth, the built-in cooler is one of our favorite features. I hate stumbling over things in the boat and I really like to keep things open as much as possible even when we have 8 people on board. The built-in works perfectly, is out of the way, and is so simple to stock, cool, clean, etc. I have plenty of friends with much newer, more expensive boats who are jealous of my cooler. But hey, I know it's not for everyone.
    Truth be told, I really do like the cooler and I do not mind having it at all. My concern is the future condition of the plastic, as it seems to already be brittle on my boat. I would hate to cut a hole in my floor to accommodate the cooler, and to have it fail in a few years and leave me with nothing but a hole in the boat. With the removal of the cooler now, I can use the space for storage or just toss my own cooler into the existing spot as it will still be accessible by lifting the cushion.

If I was launching my boat on a daily/regular basis and spending the day on my boat like most, I would definitely keep the cooler. Being that I will be at my cottage and usually just take the boat out for an hour or two at a time while we ski/board/tube, I do not really need it. I guess you could say I am on the fence at this point. I will make a final decision when it comes time to reinstall the top deck.

Got 99% of the grinding done on the bottom of the hull, and all of the transom removed. Spent a lot of time this weekend with the 9" sander getting the bulk of the grinding done, and used the 2" grinder to get things tuned up nicely. Preparation is key, so I've been going over it with a fine tooth comb. I just need to finish grinding the transom and I can start rebuilding. I am going to make the transom one piece instead of 5. Swim deck brackets will also have a nice aluminum plate backing for added support. One of the screws for a speedometer pickup went right into a stringer, I'm sure that didn't help things!

Some pics of the progress. That blue/green glue peeled off in sheets from the transom. What a pain in the rear that was! I spent a lot of time grinding that glue off of the hull from underneath the stringers so I get a good bond to the hull.

IMG_0954.jpgIMG_0955.jpgIMG_0956.jpg