Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Were you there when their mechanic looked at it and found nothing?
    Can you bring an independent engine mechanic to check it out?
    Where is the boat?

"Knocking" our misfiring can also be caused by bad gas. Always a possibility for a boat that has been sitting for a while.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

I was not there -- I am going to run the boat with the mechanic so we can listen/talk through it together - hopefully tomorrow morning.

They did say the boat wasn't used much in the couple of seasons prior to the previous owner trading it in (and it is an 05 with only 230hrs on it.. so it is believable) -- so you're right maybe it was the gas, I'll ask if they put any additives in or anything that 'made the sound go away.'

Thanks for the input and thoughts on this, I know there are a million possibilities for diagnosis here, the input I've gotten has helped guide me to push for the right things and ask the right questions. I'll report back on when I meet with the mechanic to run the boat together.

Warranties are only worth the paper they are written on especially if it is a dealer specific warranty. Unless your willing to sue them and pay the costs to do so they have the upper hand. Don't even mention bankruptcy court. Do you value the next summer @ the savings you are getting on the boat? Because worst case scenario is it will be in the shop. And that's even if they honor the warranty. There is a ton of boats out there. Find one that doesn't have a problem. Or at least has a problem you personally can fix. I got educated on third party warranties when I talked to a service rep at a stealership. It was open your eyes.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

While out this weekend, try to get a quick recording so we can hear what you hear...

Off hand, if the mechanic is not ackowledging that there is a problem, is there a chance you are trying to hear something that is normal? I can say that it would be exceptional to kill a motor in 230 hours. Possible, but it takes some real abuse to do it.

I would take the word ofa mechanic from the dealer that is selling the boat with a grain of salt
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001