Thread: Engine Stringer

Default Engine Stringer

I've done some research on stringer replacement and I am leaning towards fabricating marine ply stringers. I have questions on a few things. I was wondering if those of you that used ply formed the engine stringer from ply, or did you use doug fir? If you used multiple layers, did you bolt thru and if so did you leave the bolt in place after the epoxy cured? How did you then attach the engine stringer to the main stringers? Pictures if anyone has them would be helpful. Also, if anyone remembers previous post that addressed this, please let me know.

Epoxied mine together did marine ply sandwiched together then attached to Doug fir main stringer used epoxy/cabosil to do it . I have pics but can't get them posted at moment. Send me your email and I'll shoot it over to you.

Default Engine Stringer

Used laminated beams laminated together. I think they were 2" lbl
    I made sure they overlapped and then used thickened resin to fill the gaps. The. Glass over it like it was one piece.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

In some of the pictures I've seen it looks like the stringer assembly gets screwed together. In other pictures I've seen it looks like the boards are possibly glued together with epoxy or bedded against each other like a stringer on the hull. What's the official answer on attaching the assembled stringer system together?

Depends on who you ask. A lot of people will epoxy them together. I used water proof wood glue and screws. I used polyester resin so it would not work like the Epoxy would. When I bed the stringers I filled the counter sunk screw with thickened resin and just glassed over them like normal.
    86 Saltare

IMG_8034.jpgIMG_8003.jpgIMG_8002.jpgIMG_8001.jpg

I installed the main stringer itself first, then attached multiple 2x4 pieces by "gluing" with thickened epoxy and finalized the wrap with plywood where it needed to be at the height of the main stringer. All my wood was doug fir, regardless of it it was solid lumber or plywood.

Quote Originally Posted by Okie Boarder View Post
    IMG_8034.jpgIMG_8003.jpgIMG_8002.jpgIMG_8001.jpg

I installed the main stringer itself first, then attached multiple 2x4 pieces by "gluing" with thickened epoxy and finalized the wrap with plywood where it needed to be at the height of the main stringer. All my wood was doug fir, regardless of it it was solid lumber or plywood.
    Okie,
    Do you remember what you ordered for lumber? Are those 18' 2x8 Doug Fir? And how did you get the filet to go on that even?

The main stringers were 20' 2x12 if I remember correctly. For the fillets I used a ziploc bag to squeeze it in place and used paint stir sticks with the ends rounded off for smoothing.

Default Engine Stringer

I found an old metal or plastic severing spoon worked great to smooth mine out. Gave a nice smooth slope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    86 Saltare

Thumbs up Stringer fix

Good looking work, should last a long time