Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Broken Blower Help (06 24 SSV).

The blower on my 06 24 SSV just went out. Not exactly sure yet what caused it to go out but I did have a decent amount of water in the engine compartment because the front ballast connection leaked and sent quite a bit of water before the bilge kicked on. Anyone replaced one in this or a similar model?

Also, for the time being, what do you recommend to do when starting and fueling instead of the blower. Just open the engine compartment door for a few minutes?

Thanks for any help.

For the time being just change the blower. I have seen a boat 40' from me blow up. It's no joke. Go get a blower take the two clamps off and wire the positive and negative and it's done.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

As cusefan 78 says! Blowers are a must and need to be in place and operating properly.
    However ,
    Whenever fuelling up before restarting the engine I always lift my engine cover for a minute or so to allow any potential fumes to clear.
    Can never be too safe re fires on a vessel!

Just opening up the hatch doesn't do what a blower is designed to do. Fuel vapors are heavier than air, and as a result will stay in your bilge even when your engine hatch is open which can lead to those fumes still igniting. It helps, yes, but it's not a fail safe method.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

No question here!
    I always open the hatch as mentioned but run blowers as well for a period of time.
    As I said, can never be too safe!

Your better off leaving the hatch closed if your blowers work properly. It allows for a systematic removal of the vapors. Fresh air goes in the vent inlets to the bilge, vapors go out the outlet. When you leave the hatch open the air and vapors mix more readily.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Quote Originally Posted by CornRickey View Post
    Your better off leaving the hatch closed if your blowers work properly. It allows for a systematic removal of the vapors. Fresh air goes in the vent inlets to the bilge, vapors go out the outlet. When you leave the hatch open the air and vapors mix more readily.
    Exactly. Think about it like your bathroom fan. When you go in there to take a dump, you turn the fan on to remove the poo smell (fuel vapors). If you open the door to the bathroom (engine hatch) the poo smell kind of goes everywhere, where if you keep the bathroom closed, with the fan on, the cycle of air coming under the door brings fresh air in and forces the poo air with the fan.

If you take a poo in a bathroom without a fan... just hope you're not the next guy to walk in there, because a bomb will hit your nose. In this case, an ignition spark without a blower will blow up.

BAM! I just related taking a poo to your blower.
    Last edited by Zim; 12-18-2014 at 03:23 PM.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Well
    Quote Originally Posted by Zim View Post
    Exactly. Think about it like your bathroom fan. When you go in there to take a dump, you turn the fan on to remove the poo smell (fuel vapors). If you open the door to the bathroom (engine hatch) the poo smell kind of goes everywhere, where if you keep the bathroom closed, with the fan on, the cycle of air coming under the door brings fresh air in and forces the poo air with the fan.

If you take a poo in a bathroom without a fan... just hope you're not the next guy to walk in there, because a bomb will hit your nose. In this case, an ignition spark without a blower will blow up.

BAM! I just related taking a poo to your blower.
    Well done. That is the best and most hilarious example I have ever read that covers Dumps and boat explosions. Personally I'm a huge fan of leaving the door open in the morning after I take a dump which makes my girlfriend wake up instead of sleeping throughout the morning. She just does not get people start their day early.

1995 supra labrisa
    Pro boss gt40
    GPS Ridesteady
    Pioneer headunit kicker speakers

Quote Originally Posted by Cusefan78 View Post
    Well

Well done. That is the best and most hilarious example I have ever read that covers Dumps and boat explosions. Personally I'm a huge fan of leaving the door open in the morning after I take a dump which makes my girlfriend wake up instead of sleeping throughout the morning. She just does not get people start their day early.
    ROFL... nothing like waking up to the aroma of poo! It's the new Folgers.
    -Mike
    2006 Supra Sunsport 20V

Sounds like I have my answer, thanks for all the replies.

I didnt believe any of you, but it was the poo example that finally got me to take the hint...