Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Helm Seat

Default New Helm Seat

I'm so excited that I found what I was looking for! My '86 Sunsport needs a new helm seat because the wooden core has just grown weak over the years. On Ebay of all places, I found a new-old-stock seat for a Mastercraft. It has evidently been in Mastercraft storage for some time because it's dated 2008 and was originally shipped from Attwood to Mastercraft in Vonore, TN. So for $230 I got a new rotomolded seat core with spring support and bolster. Also it includes ALL of the foam required, so all I need to do is take it to my local vinyl shop (I have the vinyl to match) and have it finished!
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

IMG_0058.jpg IMG_0064.jpg

I got the new seat yesterday and mounted it to be sure it fit . . . it's tight, but really no tighter than the original! It's very comfortable and the bolster will be handy. It even came with precut foam to wrap around the outer part of the shell prior to fitting with vinyl. Now to decide on a design!
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Wow, that's really cool. I have been ogling some of the newer seats with a bolster set up. Seems like I'm always wishing to be just a bit higher in the seat to see over the bow better at wake board speeds.
    1991 SunSport

That's nice!

Default New Helm Seat

I picked up the seat and installed it today. I'm pretty happy with the results.
    I had to shorten the pedestal 1.75"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Clint - it looks great. I've beem constantly 'adjusting' the pedestal on mine. As my wood core rotted out, I went with a new seat from Garelick without a bolster and reupholstered to match. I wish I did the bolster now.

Looks great!

Looks good! That bolster will come in handy. I need to get one too!

Did the same thing for my 84 Rider. Picked up a brand new seat from a guy on Kijiji who had a few to sell from overstock at a marina. I think I paid about 200 for mine IIRC. I like the bolster for when I'm driving through shallow water, it makes it easier to see over the side. My seat looks very much like yours, and like you said, it was a very tight fit. I'd say squished right up against the side, it still might be about an inch off centre. The main reason I got it though, was we couldn't get the old seat set up nicely for my wife.

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    I picked up the seat and installed it today. I'm pretty happy with the results.
    I had to shorten the pedestal 1.75"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That is a pretty clean looking boat! I need to redo my upholstery. If you don't mind me asking, how much did that set you back for everything? I got a quote for $2,900 from someone that used to do upholstery for a major boat manufacturer. Seems high, but I don't have anything to compare it to.