Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 86 Sunsport Transom Repair

So when I had my floor and stringers replaced a few years ago, we ignored the fact that I had some rot in the transom. There are 3 wooden blocks located in the transom where the 3 swim platform mounts are located. The one in the center is good, but the two outboard blocks are rotten. I've tried using CPES from the Rot Dr. But there just isn't enough wood there to make a difference. So I'm thinking about making the repair this winter. If I remove the fuel tank (again), then I think I can gain enough access to cut out the fiberglass and remaining wood from the inside with a cutoff wheel. Then if I grind and clean the surface, I should be able to replace with new wood and re-glass the inside - right?

Any thoughts on this, ideas . . .

What materials do I need to adhere the blocks to the transom and then glass over?
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

I would think you could access everything you need that way. If you remove the gas tank and rear seat it opens up quite a bit. I think yours is the same or similar to mine, right? I found this pic from my restoration project...looks like you can get to everything. I'd say just bed them in place with a thickened epoxy, then glass over them. Coat the wood in CPES prior to installation.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My ski locker doesn't come out like yours, but I'll probably end up cutting it out. Otherwise they look the same.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

You are on the right track with your repair. Make sure you use a marine grade plywood . I like the bedding them in with epoxy and covering them with glass idea. You could also use 1/4'' aluminum plates over the finished blocks just for anal over kill. Instead of a grinder you can use a vibrating blade tool like a Fein multimaster it will cut the glass between the hull and transom without making such a big mess.

On my '85 Comp, we did exactly what Michael is talking about above. We put aluminum plates on both sides and used 3M 5100...a lot of it. The transoms are very weak in these boats, notice a massive improvement with the plates.

1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

Quote Originally Posted by michael hunter View Post
    You are on the right track with your repair. Make sure you use a marine grade plywood . I like the bedding them in with epoxy and covering them with glass idea. You could also use 1/4'' aluminum plates over the finished blocks just for anal over kill. Instead of a grinder you can use a vibrating blade tool like a Fein multimaster it will cut the glass between the hull and transom without making such a big mess.
    Specifically, what materials would you recommend as far as epoxy and glass. . . I've done a lot of things, but never any fiberglass work.
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Specifically, what materials would you recommend as far as epoxy and glass. . . I've done a lot of things, but never any fiberglass work.
    http://www.uscomposites.com/

Give these guys a call and explain what you are doing and they should be able to point you in the right direction. Might have to email them a picture or three but this is where I would start.
    '86 Comp TS6M - Reborn 2016
    Riding a HO Sports CX Ski

Probably a couple layers of the 1708 biaxial and epoxy resin would work good. I used 2-3 layers of that stuff on my stringers and it worked really well.

Daniel had the same issue with his boat before he had the stringers done. He had Donny do just what your talking about. He definitely did not cut the ski locker out.
    This was how he first met Donny. Later on they did the full stringer replacement.

Default 86 Sunsport Transom Repair

Thanks. I wish I lived closer to Donny Bennett. There is an outfit in Cincinnati that could do it, but I think I'm going to go ahead and tackle this one. My ski locker is different. I'll post pics when I get started.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clint
    www.waketheworldwv.com