Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You can do it. Practice glassing a scrap piece of wood first so you don't create add'l grinding if it goes bad. It's not hard but a little practice goes a long way. Preparation (having glass cut to size and everything nearby and ready to go)...timing (once the resin starts to set it doesn't wait for anybody)....technique (glass properly wetted with no air gaps underneath)...again, nothing really complicated but coordinating it all is important.

For the small amount of material you're talking about -- I'd just use some starboard and skip the CPES. Never have to worry about rot again.
    Former owner of a 1987 Supra Saltare. Current owner of a Malibu 23LSV.

Default 86 Sunsport Transom Repair

Where do I get starboard?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

Quote Originally Posted by csuggs View Post
    Where do I get starboard?

http://www.westmarine.com/west-marin...04_135_001_009

Starboard is an interesting idea although you can't glass or glue it to the hull. With either that or glassed wood you'd still want aluminum backing plates to spread the load. Only issue with starboard I can think of is sealing it. I don't think 4200 or anything else will stick to it well and since it's not glued to the hull water could leak between starboard and hull. Maybe I'm missing something.

Quote Originally Posted by Salty87 View Post
    Starboard is an interesting idea although you can't glass or glue it to the hull. With either that or glassed wood you'd still want aluminum backing plates to spread the load. Only issue with starboard I can think of is sealing it. I don't think 4200 or anything else will stick to it well and since it's not glued to the hull water could leak between starboard and hull. Maybe I'm missing something.
    This is news to me and you might want to check with starboard. I thought you could use it interchangeably with wood and I haven't run into much that 4200 or 5200 wouldn't seal. Salty87 may know more than me, though!

It's great when you only need to cut or screw but chemical fastening is a problem. From Tap Plastics' website:
    * Because King StarBoard sheet products are designed to resist water and grime,
    they cannot be painted and the use of adhesives is not recommended. If gluing is
    absolutely necessary, products such as 3M’s Scotch-Weld DP-8005 and Lord
    Corporation’s 7540-AB have been used with some success. Special welding rods,
    designed for use with polymer sheets, are also available.
    http://www.tapplastics.com/uploads/p...gStarBoard.pdf

Default 86 Sunsport Transom Repair

Sounds like maybe I should stick with the wood. It made nearly 30 years the first go-round so if I use wood with CPS, etc. - maybe it will last another 30 - longer than me!

Clint
    Wake the World - West Virginia
    www.waketheworldwv.com

What about Coosa Composite Board?
    1987 Supra Saltare
    PCM 454

This. I did this exact repair the same way Michael is explaining last spring and it worked great, i understand the aluminum is probably overkill, but i am a big guy (6'3" , 250lbs) so i don't want that thing flexing and cracking hopefully the extra bracing keeps the water out for good this time. i would recommend a small fiberglass roller to help make sure you get all the bubbles out, and make sure you are wearing a respirator and goggles (not just safety glasses) when you cut it out that dust gets everywhere.