Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Pre-wiring is a great idea although new technologies are removing much of the need. We had speaker locations pre-wired and ended up with Sonos wireless stereo equipment (love it but not cheap). No harm done and the cost of the wiring we're not using was minimal. With the closet though, you can hide most of the A/V equipment which is nice. Could also provide extra storage if you need it (wine, pantry over-flow, guns, etc).

Lots of exterior flood lights are also nice to have in the boonies.

We plan to do at least 4 flood light sets on the corners of the house. We may do more depending on layout.

Run multiple empty conduit from your main media location to your low voltage box. I also ran conduit from the box stubbed to the attic. I have already added 2 cat lines using the conduit. Make a yarn pompom and suck it through with a shop vac. Works great.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

Design your media center of enclosed to have excessive ventilation. Add a whole house surge protector to your main panel. I had my 60 inch plasma, the HDMI board on my receiver and plate amp in my sub blow due to a surge. I now have a whole house surge and individual out let protectors.

I did a while house renovation/addition to my house 4 years ago. Underestimated costs for me were dirt work, tile, tile prep material, trim, landscape. My budget was 120k and I add 900 square feet on top of a while house renovation. Pinterest would have been awesome during the prep.
    Last edited by CornRickey; 02-02-2015 at 01:16 AM.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

The conduit idea sounds intriguing and might be a smart move.

Thanks all for the feedback and info. We've been working on a design with our architect for several weeks now and have it pretty nailed down. Hopefully, we'll be kicking this off soon. I'll probably do a thread to show the progress.

For any of you using a wood stove, are you using room (house) air or did you set it up with the fresh air kit?

House air. I don't recall the store where we bought even offering fresh air but I could be wrong.

Here's a somewhat long article de-bunking the principle: http://www.woodheat.org/the-outdoor-...h-exposed.html

Seems to be a much debated topic. Personally, I don't think houses are built so air-tight that using house air creates a problem. Our house is ICF and supposedly more air tight than a conventional build but we've had no problems getting the stove to run really hot and no noticeable drafts.

Disclaimer...this is only our first wood stove. (Vermont Castings Encore)