Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

We have seen some plans with the laundry off the master closet...we like that idea and are hoping we can incorporate that into the design.

I think there are some solar rebates, as well as other "green" energy ideas. I think we will try to position ourselves to be able to do that in the future, as well. We do lose power here and there and a generator is something we're considering.

Has anyone had experience with soapstone counters tops?

Not with soapstone. My experience is with silestone, granite and my personal favorite.......Wood.
    My house is completely off grid and the last house i built has solar. Check with your local electric company about tying into the grid. Our provider makes it so if the power goes out the solar doesn't turn on and cause a feedback that could possibly cause injury to the individual working on the line. It's all pretty stupid in my opinion, but something to check on.
    Function before fashion!

Hi guys,
    During my travel in USA this summer, I really fall in love of your house building methods. They are big, I like the wood as main maetrial, they look great. Here in France, most of the houses are built solid in concrete cinderblocks, they are small, expensive, they look good but not as nice as wood construction.

Here is a link for my next house project. I love the easy construction, the perfect insulation, with no loss from floor/wall/top :

http://www.popup-house.com/
    Stéphane
    -----------------------
    1989 Supra Saltare

After some discussion with the architect and starting the initial planning, we think we are going to settle in on something around 30' deep and 35' wide. We'll probably do 10-11' ceilings and 8-9' doors.

Some other thoughts that are floating around...

cedar siding (natural look) with brick or rock on bottom third.

actual reclaimed barn wood for baseboard and trim

8' tall solid wood (knotty alder, pine or similar) interior doors

walk in shower design with no door

Shower with no door sounds good. You might add a 2nd shower head with separate controls if there's space for 2 people to be in it.

This is a suggestion we really like. Our bottom kitchen cabinets are all drawers...except under the sink. No squatting down and reaching into cabinets. The corners have swing out shelves too.

Hmmm, interesting idea with the cabinets.

Circuits to your bathroom vanities with photo eyes to the outside and run leds on the kick plates allowing the lights to come on when it's dark outside.
    2003 Supra Launch 22SSV
    1986 Ski Natique 2001

That's an interesting idea....hmmm

Another idea we think we're going to do is add a central "media" closet and run cat6 and coax to every room for future potential for A/V, security, and automation.