Page 17 of 21 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Love the dash update.

Great looking restoration and excellent use of materials. That dash update has got me inspired!
    1985 Supra Comp TS6M
    351 Windsor - 240 HP
    Velvet Drive - 1:1
    Fully Rebuilt

Looking great! On the speedometer range, I always get a kick out of speedometers for go-fast boats, when I'm used to working in the 5-40mph range:

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    Looking great! On the speedometer range, I always get a kick out of speedometers for go-fast boats, when I'm used to working in the 5-40mph range:
    I know...right?! I've been looking for something with a lower range. I've been told (but haven't confirmed) that the pitots don't read accurately under 10mph. The shop says I need to go to a gps based or paddlewheel if I want the lower range. I just haven't found anything that fits the look yet. In the meantime, I just use my speedometer app on my phone.

Quote Originally Posted by flipz96 View Post
    I know...right?! I've been looking for something with a lower range. I've been told (but haven't confirmed) that the pitots don't read accurately under 10mph. The shop says I need to go to a gps based or paddlewheel if I want the lower range. I just haven't found anything that fits the look yet. In the meantime, I just use my speedometer app on my phone.
    That is what I've found, too. The vacuum-based speedos just don't work very well below 10mph. Paddlewheels do work well and they are probably a cheaper option than GPS. However, you do have to drill a big hole in the bottom of the boat. They do make transom-mount paddlewheels but every inboard I've seen uses the through-hull type.

Default Trolling motor as a backup motor...

Just in case...I bought a 50lb thrust Minn Kota transom mount trolling motor for backup. I know that I can probably ask someone on the lake to tow me back to the ramp if needed but I don't like to rely on anyone. I'm going to build a platform/storage on the starboard side of the engine box. The platform will extend under the helm seat and aft of the helm seat will have a hinged hatch to access the stored trolling motor. It should be about the same height at the coaming step. Hopefully I'll never have to use it. There were 3 times I could have used this last summer. It sure beats rowing!

Last edited by flipz96; 07-12-2015 at 09:02 PM.

Interesting idea! An electric "kicker" for the Supra. Seems like a lot of weight and bulk to carry around for the off chance you might need it though.

Quote Originally Posted by SquamInboards View Post
    Interesting idea! An electric "kicker" for the Supra. Seems like a lot of weight and bulk to carry around for the off chance you might need it though.
    Good thing my stringers and floors are light! I know its only a 50lb thrust and looks a little cheesy when it on, but I just need something to get me across the lake if one of the hundred things that can go wrong, does...I'm building a small platform that goes on top of it when its stored...so that I don't loose any floor space.

That's a pretty good idea so you don't get stranded. While using my boat the past few weekends, I have come to the conclusion that the space behind the drivers seat is good for one thing : storage. I haven't finished my tower just yet so its a nice place for all of our gear. Boat's looking great man. Cant wait to see it on the water, you've got to be dying of heat and ready to use that thing!

Default Finally out on the water!

I was finally able to get the boat out this weekend. What a great feeling! I just have to get my audio system put back in which I will do this week and my upholstery which will be done after this season!